• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Upgrades to my 93 6.5

dirtfarmer629

Recruit
Reaction score
Well my truck had started overheating when it was idling so I decided it was time to upgrade the fan clutch. While doing it I decided to upgrade the fan also. I used a AC-delco fan clutch from a late year 6.5. Then put a DMAX fan on it. Got both of them off amazon for less then 120 dollars, thanks to a thread I seen on here. It was one of the easiest upgrades I have done everything just bolted right up. It really seems to move alot of air.
001.jpg004.jpg

I also have had bad luck with the factory style lift pump lately so decided to upgrade this also. I got a lift pump and filter kit from pmdcable. The challenge with this that I found out is on a single cab long bed truck there is really no where to mount the kit on drivers side frame. So this is what I came up with. I put it on the inside of passenger side frame where there was plenty of room.
006.jpg011.jpg

I took my time planning out how to run the fuel line making sure not to have any sharp corners and putting it places where it is well protected. lift pump 001.jpglift pump 002.jpg

I used the fittings from pmdcable also which made the job easier.
lift pump 003.jpg

I am going to build another plate to bolt under the pump and filter to protect it since this is a farm truck. Also get something to put around the fuel line and wires to protect them.

Nice job on the install. Looks good.

Did you also check your thermostat to make sure that it was opening properly and did you clean out your cooling stack? Both of these can have a big impact on cooling, too.

I did clean out my cooling stack while putting fan clutch on. I couldn't believe the amount of dirt and junk that was in it. I plan on changing thermostat when I do a coolant flush in next few weeks. I will be putting the new setup to the test either today or tomorrow going to pick up a tractor that is broke down for one of my neighbors.

I was thinking about the heat shield thing myself. I was scared at first but I hauled my neighbors tractor last night to the shop. When I got there I got under truck and both fuel pump and filter was cool to the touch. I think that I am going to buy a roll of header wrap and just wrap my exhaust there for extra insurance. I was actually scared it was going to be hard to prime the pump but all I did was used compressed air to get fuel to pump and the pump did the rest.

The new fan blade and clutch did great. Truck would get around 2 marks from 210 it would kick in and truck would cool down fast.

I decided to upgrade my filter for the kit I installed a while back. Went with a cat water separator filter.
DSC01309.jpg
I also got a Wix filter to try out when I put a kit on my 99 6.5. The one thing I noticed is the Cat filter came with an o-ring to seal threads.
DSC01308.jpg
Here is a list of the filters that I looked at. The Carquest, Wix and Napa are all the same filter.
Carquest- 86005
Wix- 33005
Napa- 3005
Cat- 175-2949
Baldwin- BF1268

what's a cooling stack?

never mind, I googled it... the stack of radiators in the grille... oil cooler, condenser, etc...
dirt/buggs etc.
I had my radiator out, and chemically cleaned it, and the condenser. I'm thinking I'll remove the oil cooler, and install a new larger one. it looks dinky for a turbo motor...

back to your overheating issue, did you check the radiator itself for sediment?

Looks good, just saw this post. What micron you running on the filters and whats the PSI of the new Walbro.
Its been a few months how do you like it?

vstech- The new fan and clutch fixed my overheating problem.
Leroy- The cat filter is suppose to be a 10 micron water separator filter. Wix claims its filter is 3 micron but that is with the nominal micron rating. The cat filter is 10 micron at 99% efficiency. The wix filter was around 15 dollars from my local carquest and the cat filter was 20 dollars from my local cat dealership. The wix filter might be something to look at selling with your kits would protect the lift pump and rest of fuel system from water.
I love the pump already has lasted longer then my last couple factory style pumps and my truck doesn't seem to run out of fuel when towing heavy. Never realized how much a lift pump matters until I put this one on truck.

Yes, Lp would have a hard time sucking fuel though that but can pump through it much better.

Back