• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Upgraded Clutch Kit?

6.5L

Old Iron Runner
Reaction score
So now with WMI my stock clutch has been slipping bad. Looking at aftermarket kits (not a lot to choose from) and I see Clutchmasters has some good series (FX250/300/350) that I am gonna call about. A long time ago they said they had an upgraded Kevlar clutch for a 6.5L diesel so I am gonna dig deeper. Southbend also has a 375/750 unit as well and I am gonna talk to them tomorrow. Centerforce also makes a clutch for a 6.5L Diesel but doesn't have any ratings on it really so I am gonna call them as well. I was wondering if anybody here knows of a company selling upgraded 6.5L clutch kits as well and possibly provide a link? Would appreciate any info. I like to know all my options before making a decision. Right now, slightly leaning towards the Southbend.

Southbend was the leader in ceramic for pickups. I would try and stick with organic for smoothness. Southbend has a outstanding reputation of backing up their clutches and advice. I have the larger friction organic SB makes in my 2003 Dodge.

Researched on this last year as my SOB tow rig needs a new clutch in front of its ZF-6. Southbend and LUK were the go-to products. Local shop loves Southbend.

Call Ramclutches dot com. I don't think they list other than OEM style but may can customize a setup.

Southbend. Centerforce has one but its not their weighted pressure plate style but think disc material is theirs.

The shop I used to rebuild my NV4500 said they recommend LuK but doubt they have seen any strong 6.5's.

Keep us posted IMO GM sucks for clutch systems and are partly to blame for people not liking manual transmissions.

Well If forgot about the new years so everything is closed so I will have to wait to call. And I researched Luk a while back, and it didn't seem like they had anything outside of OEM for the 6.5L. Centerforces almost seems like an OEM replacement as well. The only one I would define as an upgraded clutch kit would be Southbends unit. Still not sure about the FX series from Clutchmasters, but as I mentioned before, last I called them about a 6.5L clutch, they said they make a kevlar one. So who knows.

Its been a long while since I talked to anyone so can't say what today facts are.

iirc Southbend used LuK components (disc and PP) but changed the friction material to proprietary stuff. I believe same with CenterForce.

From the little researched I did it seems it was mostly Luk or Valeo style components with mods sometimes. No from scratch or drastically different better designs that I could find.

I think Zoom use to offer a clutch but now thinks its perfectionclutch and a std replacement unit. Can't remember for sure but think theirs is a Valeo disc style???? Might call them too to double check current offerings.

Recognize that the question was not about the flywheel, but . . . Do not let anybody talk you into a dual mass; if they try, run away!

Oh I know. I already got a solid-mass flywheel and I am not changing it haha the Southbend I believe comes with its own solid-mass flywheel in the kit but if it will go directly to my stock solid mass then I am gonna be a happy camper. and save like $250 haha. It's all in the questions when I call them. Hopefully I shouldn't have to upgrade my hydraulics either.

Any news. Do you have a hi grip clutch yet. When I did my nv4500 swap I when with a luk solid flywheel kit. (Off rockauto for under $300) It came with a nice clutch that was to "better than OE" but gave no real holding specs. So far I am very happy. Even with all I have done which should put me close to you minus the water/meth kit, it is holding great and has a nice clutch feel. Not to heavy, but definitely not to light. It is just right or slightly on the heavy side if you can under what I am trying to say.

I am still waiting for a guy to come pick up a 6.2L Suburban I was selling to afford the Southbend. And even if our two trucks were identical, it was the water/meth kit that picks up so much torque that the stocker couldn't hold. As soon as I get some stuff figured out, I will be sure to keep the updates going. Hopefully sometime this week he comes back into town to pick it up.

Do you have a home made kit or a snow kit. And in your opinion was it a wroth while investment? Have you seen any mpg gains with it?

Back