• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

update on blazer

iamdave0887

Here Comes Chaos.....
Reaction score
the reman IP from DieselPro showed up monday afternoon.

I got it installed today and everything put back together. After bleeding out all the air it fires right up and ran very well. i had to adjust the fast idle a tad bit but nothing out of the ordinary.

I still had a tad bit of unburnt diesel smoke from the tails after a good run down the street. at this point i'm wondering if the engine just needs a good run and a few tank fulls of fresh diesel.

I guess time will tell. Now onto body work and accessory crap like driver's power window, rear window(junk), etc etc. for the body and floors i plan on scrapping all the carpet(it's nasty anyways), welding patches in where the rust/rot is. After all that i plan to spray the entire floor w/ bedliner and be done with it.

Thank you all for your help. :cheers2:

Good work, Dave!

Uh, I don't suppose the Picture-Taking Fairy was hanging around while you were replacing that IP, huh? To the best of my knowledge, every time one of us has changed out an IP, we've been on our own and didn't take pictures. Makes it real hard to tell somebody "oh, changing IP? Nothing to it. Just look at the (oops) pictures."

Just askin'

Not much to changing a 6.2 IP anyway but my advice to you is scour the junkyards for a cab. Not worth all that patching. It's very easy to swap cabs and cabs for that bodystyle should be a dime a dozen or better yet look for a whole gasser with a puked motor. There is no difference in the body or chassis. Trust me, look at the before and after pics of my brown truck in my photo album. That chassis was a gasser. so was the cab.

Not really. I have done a few over the years. Not bad at all. The only ones that were hard were the 73 back because of the full top. The bodys needed to be very well supported or they would rack. To do a 74 on up no problem at all. Once you pull the nose off and the roof and doors the shell weights nothing. A few floor jacks. I have done frame swaps on a few of them too. I even did a 72 with my buddy. Once you strip it down it's not bad and GM made everything interchangable in those days.

Good work, Dave!

Uh, I don't suppose the Picture-Taking Fairy was hanging around while you were replacing that IP, huh? To the best of my knowledge, every time one of us has changed out an IP, we've been on our own and didn't take pictures. Makes it real hard to tell somebody "oh, changing IP? Nothing to it. Just look at the (oops) pictures."

Just askin'

no luck on photos Jim.

I'll snap a few of the complete process and disassembly that i can. i've got a few spare IP's and IP gears lying around that i'll show for the detailed parts of IP removal from IP gear, etc if that'll help at all.

I did not remove the water pump or timing cover to do this swap. I went through the oil filler tube and rotated the engine w/ a breaker bar on the crankshaft bolt, pulling one bolt at a time.

With a 6.2 IP swap the hardest part is the bottom 4 injector lines i'd say. i had to remove the old IP and install the new one with the bottom 2 injector lines installed. I couldn't get to them otherwise.

Injector lines were 5/8"s at the IP and 3/4" at the injectors.

A big must is numbering the injector lines before removal. That was a life saver for me.

i'll get some pics tomorrow. I must thank DieselPro for the Reman IP. The truck runs so much better now. :D

Kenny. Once the carpet comes out and i can see how shot everything really is will i make my decision on cab swap or patch job.

i've got boat loads of heavy gauge sheet steel and access to multiple welders and friends that can weld. It shouldn't be so bad, i hope.

On the bad side the rear window's steel on the bottom of the window(that the arms bolt to) finally let go. driver side of the rear window drops randomly about an inch or so. Time to check out LMC for the steel on the bottom of the window. the other parts i'll make them work again.

Not really. I have done a few over the years. Not bad at all. The only ones that were hard were the 73 back because of the full top. The bodys needed to be very well supported or they would rack. To do a 74 on up no problem at all. Once you pull the nose off and the roof and doors the shell weights nothing. A few floor jacks. I have done frame swaps on a few of them too. I even did a 72 with my buddy. Once you strip it down it's not bad and GM made everything interchangable in those days.

They didn't change to the 1/2 removable roof until '75. '74 had the same body stile as the '75 but with the fully removable roof.

I was on the fence about 74. couldn't remember for sure. Now that you say it your're right cause my father had a 74. I miss my 69. That truck was awesome.

Back