• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Unexpectedly aquired a NV4500 yesterday for very cheap!

there is a 4x4 one in at denver on e-bay, but it is no bargain, about 900 bucks.

I do have one in my 96 junker, but as the sig says, it is shot. need to get it apart to find out how bad. if it is saveable, I might have a trans. if just the case is good, might just make a 2wd out of it.

Last edited:
I still need a NV4500 for the 94, but I haven't been up to doing much of anything lately. Hopefully soon. Doing better today anyway. That makes one day in a row. LOL

I still need a NV4500 for the 94, but I haven't been up to doing much of anything lately. Hopefully soon. Doing better today anyway. That makes one day in a row. LOL

Dont worry, I haven't forgotten about you! I figured you would like to go period correct and get the deep gears, so I didnt bother sending you the link of the e-bay unit. How much is your budget again? Also, what would happen to the old one once you get a good one?

I'm not so concerned about going period. I'll take anything reaonably priced that I know will work.

I'm not desperate yet, Still driving the truck as is. Just skipping 3rd or shifting slow enough to slide it in.

I'm guessing my current price is about $400. Depending on milage and other concerns I would be willing to pay more.
If I ever start getting caught up around here to where it's getting to the top of my list I will be willing to pay more.
We need to order propane soon - about $1225, need a new AC compressor in the 94 $400. New AC lines in the 98 Suburban $800, plus a whole bunch of other stuff. LOL

I plan to rebuild the existing NV4500 and either sell it or keep it as a spare, depending on what I find.

I just do not want to be without a truck. When I take the trans out, I'd like it to be a swap so as to cut down on down time. Lord knows I've had enough of that.

I may just sell the current trans as is, if I have enough confidence in what I find

Dont worry, I haven't forgotten about you! I figured you would like to go period correct and get the deep gears, so I didnt bother sending you the link of the e-bay unit. How much is your budget again? Also, what would happen to the old one once you get a good one?

well, if you plan to re-do it, I couldnt take a mans spare transmission! I will keep looking, cheapest 4x4 one on the bay is 600 bucks, local pickup only, down in texas.

I'm still kicking around getting a spare to rebuild. I have a line on one on the wrong side of the state and just havent had the time to go get it or it would be a done deal. Low Gear NV4500, t-case, bell housing, clutch parts, and rear drive shaft for ~$1000.

My 93 has to be SLID into 3rd and it might not grind, 4th grinds everyother time and it doesnt help to slide it gotta match RPM's and it might work. Down shifting into 4th is near impossible w/o a grind and 3rd takes a LONG slide.

Ol' Blue grinds into 3rd 4th and OD, t-case only works in 4 low.

PLAN: Rebuild new tranny (just to start fresh), drop it in the 93, Rebuild the 93's to install in Ol' Blue and shove the new case in at the same time. Keep/ rebuild for spares. I want the drive shaft for future plans. Both trucks need rear mains (actually whole engines) and likely clutches.

Well the nv4500 isnt that hard to rebuild. i rebuilt mine with the help of my buddy, he is a tranny rebuilder. a press and them wedge type pullers is a must have inorder to get the main shaft apart to replace the syncos that all of you seem to be describing as bad.

picked up a 92 NV4500 with a t-case, removed from a blown up 6.5L truck, for 100 bucks! It was laying out in a yard uncovered, and input shaft bearing has some slack, so probably a re-builder, but it has the low gears!

not yet. I have some ideas rolling around. apparently, 1996 was the last year that the low gears can be installed, and 96 was also the first year of the trans to bellhousing bolt pattern shared with dodge, and the internal slave. so, to get a low geared trans for any 96 and up 6.5L, I need a 96 trans, so that is where the wrecked one comes in. hopefully, with it and the recent one, I can make a 96+ low geared trans, which will be stuffed in the 99.

I am chasing two more, and hopefully I will get around to rebuilding some, and selling them. keeping the desired low gears for my rigs. you 4wd guys have it easy. cant launch? 4 low. I need as low as I can get, since I dont have a low range! :)

got another! :) fresh rebuilt one, does not have the tailshaft housing, but it has the damper, got the bellhousing, and a box of possibly good parts salvaged from the bad one. this was an unfinished project of some guy, and he put the stuff up on the local online classifieds.

so, got another 92-95 style 4wd version NV4500, and gave less than 500 bucks for it.

there was a time i was looking for one myself but i am so happy with the 4L80 manual control, if i run across one, i will sell it.
those are good buys you can't seem to stop making!

the rebuilt one may be yours if you arent scared of a little fine surface rust and dust from sitting in a building. I sure wish they put a tailshaft housing on and put some oil in it. luckily the only rust I see is on the case mating surface, none of the shafts or gears.

I will try to find out what gears it has, after finding an extra tailshaft housing and some extra oil. dont want to dry rotate it to figure out gears.

Kinda hard to drive in 4lo on the highway and my truck wont shift from 4lo to 2hi when moving. I still need low gears in my 4x4.

What we really need is the ranger gear splitter and 4.56 gears.

The 94 K3500 has the low gear. I am not all that particular about keeping it.

The 89 with the Getrag 5 speed seemed to have a good range of gears and a 3.73 rear end

Back