• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Uneven rear end, how to fix?

konstan

Diesel junkie
Reaction score
Got a 95 Sierra 2500 4wd with a 6.5 td motor. If you look at the truck straight from the back, the driver side sits lower.

I heard tell that it's the fuel tank location that causes this after so many years... So, how can I correct this?

New springs in the rear and crank the bars up front.

Or the poor mans/redneck way is to shim the sagging side the amount it's sagging.

IE: 2 inch sag equals two inch block on the offending side. Cost less than twenty bucks.

Do it right a few hundred.

Lol just spent a few $$$ on pmd relocation w/new pmd; what's the downside to the redneck method?

Measure it at all 4 corners. Then I would try cranking the driver's side T-Bar 1 turn 1st (make sure you are up on stands), let it down, bounce it and then measure again to see what difference. Work from there.

I wouldn't carry a heavy load in the bed or tow with a high tongue weight, and it's just a band-aid but won't really do any harm if you don't overload it.

You could also put helper springs/load leveler {adjustable} on the springs and adjust them to even out the load and be able to haul/tow.

Broken leaf springs.Check the sides of the leafs for cracks right above the axle. There is no real "band aid". The broken leaf or leaves need to be replaced. Messing with the torsion bars will only throw it out of alignment further. Figure on a new centering bolt and new u-bolts.

I went out and measured. Axle to frame, ground to frame, all are the same on the left and on the right.
Then I measured "top of the bed to ground" and sure enough, it's 1" off.
So, the bed is seated unevenly, with rear pass. corner too low by 1". Can this be corrected?

Sounds like your bed mounts are bad. I'd check them for rust and see if one is rotted away, and if not I'd replace the bushings. That should fix it.

There is no bushings between the box and frame. Only the cab and core support have bushings. The box is solid to the frame with 8 bolts.
A broken main leaf spring behind center of the axle will allow the frame to sag that much. Measuring height at the axle will still be good.

Axle to frame is the same on both sides.
Axle to ground is the same because it's 1/2 of the tire height. (lol)

Axle to frame is the same on both sides.
Axle to ground is the same because it's 1/2 of the tire height. (lol)

Correct. What I'm saying is that if the main leaf[the one that bolts to the frame] is broken at the axle ,that it still will support the frame in front of the axle but not behind it.
Maybe I'm totally wrong. Maybe the truck was crashed in the rear and the frame is bent. Adjust the bumper to match the box and it won't be as noticeable.

Back