• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Under dash rattle

12ga diesel

Jack of all, Master of none
Reaction score
Is anyone else with a NBS Silverado (and maybe this happens in the GMC Sierra too) getting a terrible rattle under the dash right at the driver's knees, under the steering wheel? It sounds like it is coming from just right of the trailerbrake. All it takes to make it go a way is to put a little bit of pressure on the section. I only get it when the truck is idling. As soon as I would hit the throttle, it would go away. But now that it has been around for a few thousand miles it seems to come back when I am a bumpy road now, which it didn't do before. I drove on a gravel road this morning that was all washboard and you could easily hear it. It is more of an annoyance now. When I went to the dealer to have them put a new fuel fitler on when I had trouble getting the truck to run when it was -25* out. It was due, 11k on the filter, they said that it was a common complaint and it was a bracket that a rivet can brake off and cause the noise. They said they have had about 10 guys come in about it and the part was about 3 weeks back ordered. Just curious if anyone else had this problem.

I had one that sounded like underdash, but ended up being the top dash plate.Remove and pad contact areas.If for sure under dash, try the same.

interesting... i have kinda like a buzzing noise from that same area. it ended up being the fuel lines on the other side of the firewall vibrating together. I wedge a piece of rubber between then and wrapped it with a zip tie and so far no more noise.
btw. this is a 06 GMC LBZ

It actually feels like the brake controler is almost loose. Think I might try to shim it for the time being too quiet it.

09 LMM

i have the same rattle on my 09..havent been home to have it checked thanks for the info i will check it when i get home.

I noticed this rattle start up after replacing pump to hydroboost lines.

YES YES YES YES YES....Exactly that!!!!! It's causing me to drink....MORE!! Must....stop....rattle...:mad2:

Ahem...so, anyway....there's a part, eh???

i have a slight rattle in that area on my 07.5' but, it sounds more like a couple wires that arent ziptied tightly or something. it might be my plow wires though... idk... ill have to check it out sometime.

Hey 12ga, aren't you talking about a 2004 Dodge rattle thats in your signature or do you have a Chevy thats not in your signature?

Old thread, I'm sure he was talking about his Duramax when he had it.

You don't mean he sold the best and bought a Dodge ? ):h
That was a long story about a year ago. He needed to get out from under the LMM $ and got a decent Dodge in it's place. It turned out pretty good for Dave. I went to find the thread but I see all the old ones went away with the merger.

Yep, sure did. I won't lie and say that I don't miss my Duramax, especially my '06 LLY, but I do and am enjoying this Cummins engine. I've had this truck for a little over 20k miles and 7 months, and nothing too major has gone wrong. The biggest thing being the fuel pump going out on me about 5 weeks ago with 70k miles on it, but replaced it with a FASS pump, and have been very happy with it. Another thing I will replace from stock to an upgraded aftermarket piece are the U-joints up front. I'm going to swap out the stock ones for greaseable U-joints.
I might go back to a Duramax, if the right truck came up for the right price. But I've been happy with this truck, and going to try to keep this truck for a little while. I've gone through too many trucks in the last 5-6 years. Maybe in about another year I'll look at a LBZ.

Back