• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Unable to Reach Onstar?

Idle_Chatter

(A)ACLU #79
Reaction score
Well, they've been saturation advertising for the Onstar "Push to Win" sweepstakes. My Onstar died with the change to digital in my 2001 DMax. My 2007 HHR was bought used and didn't have Onstar. My "new to me" 2004 gasser has Onstar. I'm in no rush to have Onstar, but thought I might endure a sales pitch to enter the sweepstakes. Push the blue button - a "canned" sales pitch (found out later I can skip it by just pushing the blue button again). Push the button, "connecting to Onstar" six beeps and ten or fifteen seconds later, "unable to connect to Onstar." I have tried several times over the last couple of weeks from several different locations with the same result. Is my 2004 also "Onstar impaired?":???:

Very funny! But I'm sure they want Tom's money, too! I did a bit of research and my 2004 is probably an "unadapted" gen 3 or 4 and will never connect to Onstar. I never had more than the basic "safety and security" package on my 2001 and the one and only time I needed it they did not deliver, left me stranded in the boonies in a sleet storm with a flat and I finally hit it with a fix-flat and limped it to a station to air it up enough to drive it home after waiting for 2 hours for a response that never came. I shed no tears when I was terminated due to obsolescence and they quit charging my credit card $17 a month. The 2004 has all kinds of "gizmos" that my 2001 lacked: Bose, XM, DIC, all kinds of buttons on the wheel. I wasn't planning on subscribing to Onstar, but I thought I would go ahead and enter the sweepstakes. I guess it's no longer a problem because I'm sure not gonna cough up a couple hundred bucks to get "adapted."

Onstar did do away with the Analog signal systems in the earlier trucks.. When exactly that switch was I'm not sure.

My 2001 was analog only and "went away." I did some research on OnStar and gen 1 and 2 up to 2003 are analog only and gonezo. Gens 3 and 4 2004 to 2006apparently are both analog and digital and can be "adapted" to digital for $200. Current all digitals are gen 6 AFAIK. I guess I'm in need of an "adapter" and I'm not going to bite.

Back