• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

U joint shield material list

Will

Boobies make me happy
Reaction score
There is a pull coming up in a few weeks that I would like to pull at that is now requiring U Joint shields do to someone getting hit last year with a broken U joint. Does anyone have a materials list on what all I need to build a set?
Thanks.

Sheilds or Sheild??

Most only require visible ones so just the rear needs one. Its the one that usually goes anyways. Well actually your shaft will most likely twist in half.

For the rear sheild get a piece of 6" tube 6" long. at least 1/4" steel or 3/8 aluminum. Then cut it in half and weld 4 pieces of 1" wide 1/4" strap on each side of your cut on each side of the sheild. This will make it so it seperates in half by bolts to make driveshaft removal easier. If you catch my drift.

Then drill two holes into the axle housing. One on each of the little thin flat spots youll see. This is where you will bolt your bracket. Then create your bracket out of your choice of material, size and shape. Remember to angle the sheild up slightly to follow the line of the driveshaft. Then either bolt this on top of the plates on the top half of your sheild or make it so the top plate is the bracket. If you catch my drift.

For the front if you need one Drill two holes in the T-Bar crossmember right above the two holes in the bottom of it. This makes it so you can get a wrench in there. Then cut a piece of strap about 10-12" wide and bolt it on there. Then cut another piece of tube the same as above but dont cut it in half. This one doesnt need to be seperable due to the slip yoke. Then create two braces that come down the the strap you bolted to the t bar crossmember.

Then for even more protection. Get a short strap or chain and some eye bolts. Stick the eye bolts in the crossmember that is the one that the exhaust bends around and hook your chain to it.

Someday ill make a writeup.

If you want cheap / free pipe, try well drilling companies. I needed a short piece of 8" and the one I stopped had a scrap and gave it to me

Back