• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

U Bolts

Gunar

Reaction score
Hello friends,.

I would like to renew my rear U bolts...
The original have 16 mm(0.62´´) Bolts...i have here which with 13 mm(0.51´´) Bolts...Is it sufficient?
They can withstand the torque of the axle or is it better to take original..?
My Tahoe had no Suspension with Blocks or other changes...
Does anyone know the torque for the screws...?(90 lbs..?)

Best regards...
Gunar

Your u-bolts are the only link between your leaf springs and your rear axle. They take a tremendous amount of tensile stress from acceleration, braking, and suspension flex. I'm sure there are folks that will say what you have is fine, but you can't go wrong installing the right ones. Give Alcan Spring a call out of Grand Junction, Colorado a call. They can bend up a brand new set of u-bolts to any specs you want, and will supply you the PROPER thick washers and tall nuts. Not just a traditional hex nut you get off the bins in local hardware store.

Alcan Spring
[FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica](888) 321-0870[/FONT]

I ordered a kit from my local NAPA store and they seem to work ok, havent given in yet. All hardware looks original besides the bolt is standard size and fits alil tighter in the holes.

Spoke with ALCAN today and they are very helpful just didnt have exactly what I wanted and didnt wanna put the big springs i wanted under a 3/4 ton.

Hello friends,.

I would like to renew my rear U bolts...
The original have 16 mm(0.62´´) Bolts...i have here which with 13 mm(0.51´´) Bolts...Is it sufficient?
They can withstand the torque of the axle or is it better to take original..?
My Tahoe had no Suspension with Blocks or other changes...
Does anyone know the torque for the screws...?(90 lbs..?)

Best regards...
Gunar

I wouldn't do it...just my opinion...

Around here most driveline shops can make them, I also would stay with the larger ones.

Back