• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Two piece crank club

I guess I'm a member...

Can someone point me in the direction of what the next step is? Initially, I was thinking Optimizer, but didn't fall in love with the $7400 price tag. I guess if someone knows of a used one I could pick it up or have it shipped.

Open to ideas.
I recently saw a fairly low mileage drivable for sale fairly reasonable. - under 150,000 miles, under $2,000

I would be looking for something like that.
I've always rather bought a used vehicle and swapped as opposed to just buying an engine.

I'd rather buy running used than a rebuilt. I never had much luck with rebuilt stuff.

My crank didn't break but, my block was cracked at the #7 cylinder. I bought the Optimizer and never looked back. My original mileage was only 93k so I figured my truck (1/2 ton) was worth the cost of a new motor. I looked at like this; many hot rodders spend 10's of thousands of dollars on "old" cars so $7500-8000 on an already nice truck made enough sense to me...good luck with your decision and keep us posted!

Any advice on getting to the top two bell housing bolts? We were hoping to leave the transmission in place but the top two seem to be hiding well.

Also, what does the bracket look like that holds the fuel lines? One bolt goes to the second bell housing bolt, but it seems like there is another bolt holding it. Maybe one of the upper two i can't access right now?

you'll have to pull the starter, exhaust cross over, and torque converter to flexplate bolts out. then the top two bell housing bolts can be a bugger to get at, but a short socket and ball swivel on a long extension and impact usually does the trick. just put a floor jack under the front side of the trans before lifting and pulling on the motor.

the fuel lines should only have an eyelet up on the drivers side top bellhousing bolt. once that is out and hoses disconnected, it's game on for pulling.

Back