• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Two 90s off the heater core

MrMarty51

Reaction score
2000 K3500, 6.5 turbo diesel.
The factory hose/pipe has been removed and it now has a 3/4” hose from the T-Stat cross over to the heater core.
Coming right off the heater core nipple, about four to five inches distance there is the exhaust down pipe.
Trying to clean some appearance of what it looks like. I am thinking of replacing the heater hose that has an S bend in it to avoid the down pipe and installing a 90 degree elbow right off the heater core nipple and pointing it at an upward angle towards the rocker cover and then a short length of heater hose and another 90 degree el so that the end of that el points towards the T-Stat crossover and the fitting on the crossover where the heater hose plugs in at the crossover.
Calling on those with more knowledge of how a liquid flows and if the double L would mess up how the coolant is suppose to flow, verses the long S curves of the heater hose.

The smoother the bends, the better it is. Hard 90° turns make the oil pump work harder, slowing the flow, and the oil getting “worked” actually heats it more.

There are better designed 90° for flow- but under NO circumstances would I use aluminum/ A&N brand or similar fittings. They are light weight for racing because oz add up, and risking failure for a minuscule amount of speed is worth it on the track. Imo get something that can withstand a small rock gettin flung of the tire that won’t break.

If you figure out a shape that would work- you can have hoses made that the fitting has “pipe” section and have them bend it. This becomes more expensive but can be worth examining.

A Master Plumber friend of mine once told me that for every 90° elbow it's like adding another 10' of pipe of flow resistance.

NAPA does sell bendable heater hose, it has a spiral wire to keep it from collapsing and a heavy, straight wire to bend to shape both molded into it. I used a piece of that instead of the factory "S" hose to feed the coolant to the center section of the turbo on my '84 Subaru because rhe chunk of NAPA hose was almost $25 cheaper than the factory hose. It also lasted without blowing out, unlike the factory one had twice, @MrMarty51.

Thank You very much @Husker6.5
I used a stick of regular heater hose. Made the first C right off the heater core, the second C took it around the upper side of the CDR valve that made up the S curve, then a slight bend to the T-Stat bypass fitting.
The stabilizer bracket thats attached to the fuel injector pipes real close to the heater core nipple, it has a sort of a long oval pointing up and downwards and it has a hole top and another lower side. I used a zip tie through the upper hole, tied around the heater hose to sharpen the lower portion of the S curve to pull the heater hose away from the exhaust down pipe.
Worked out great without kinks in the hose.

Back