• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Turbo Valve?

6.5L

Old Iron Runner
Reaction score
I was scrolling through the latest issue of Diesel Power Magazine and saw on one of the pages an advertisement for a turbocharger valve that would direct exhaust gases under a certain boost level into the small scroll on the turbo and then once it reached a certain PSI level it would open the valve to use both scrolls on the housing. I kind of assumed it was for trucks using a massive turbo and running a lot of boost but I don't see why it couldn't be modified to be used on an ATT or something. I thought a while back I read something about one of these but I searched for it again and couldn't find it. In theory it would work, but that is never right. So has anybody ever had any experience with them or heard of them? I am just curious. Seemed like either a good idea or a junk marketing idea for the less diesel informed.

They sell a plate adapter that sandwiches in between the Manifold and Turbo flange. The biggest question is whether or not your turbo exhaust housing is setup to take advantage of it. IIRC... The cummins 6bt has a split manifold that is sequenced so that Every sequential exhaust pulse differentiates between the two sides of the exhaust housing. This is done to help decrease spool times and balance the flow through the turbo making it more efficient. The HX35W off the cummins has the split flange for this. only one side of the sides of the exhaust housing is Wastegated, For a v8 motor this isnt really practical without a center mount turbo as you would have exhaust pipes running everywhere. These are mostly used when installing bigger turbos on import cars to help lower RPM boost. Unless you plan on running a huge turbo (which will have its own inherit issues) then you are going to be gaining very little than with running a properly sized and wastegated housing.

Back