• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Turbo to Manifold Bolts

DieselSlug

Reaction score
I will be installing a WH1C on my truck within a few weeks. I just removed my GM-4 that has been on there for 3 years. The nuts for the studs were rotted badly, so from here on out im going stainless with all hardware. Im going to get 4 stainless steel bolts and nuts, is there any different grade i should get due to the high heat the bolts and nuts will endure? I know stainless is brittle, but do they make certain grades?

Use a nickel based anti-seize (high temp) on SS fo' sure...

There are different grades. The most common (18-8) is roughly like a grade 3 normal steel. 316 SS is close to grade 5... I think..

It's softer than what you'd think. Get too hard of a bolt and the heads start popping off with a lot of heat.

Back when i built my engine i wanted to use SS bolts for the manifolds. But was worried about the heat they would endure. So i stuck with steel and am starting to pay for it.

So what do you think i should go with? Just use regular old SS bolts off the shelf or look for the higher grade?

I've used 18-8 on a SBC with iron manifolds with good success. Even grade 8 will hold up better as they are a better alloy.

Back