• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Turbo oil return line

Schwind

split loyalties
Reaction score
I pulled my turbo to change my injectors and now my oil return line continues to leak. I put the flange gasket in twice now. Cleaned and removed old gasket material off each time. Just can’t seem to get it to seal properly. What am I missing here?

The return line didn’t leak before I removed it and I figured that I may have damaged the first replacement gasket so I redid it with a new one. The second gasket is now leaking as well. I have torqued the bolts to 19 ft. lbs. And it still leaks. I have lost about a quart of oil in just 1500 miles. With both gaskets leaking a quart in the same amount of time and miles.

Any suggestions as to what maybe causing it to leak? I didn’t use any RTV sealer the original didn’t have any on it. And the gaskets had a gum or adhesive on it and I stuck it to the return tube. As far as I can see the gasket is in the proper place.

I am in need of the experts here any help would be greatly appreciated

Red RTV on mine in addition to gasket, make sure hole in gasket is not covering turbo outlet in any way, pure gravity drain only, also make sure the clamps on rubber line to side of block entry are tight will weep there if loose.

Thank you TD didn't know if RTV would hinder or help. Should I replace the gasket again or will a good cleaning and applying the RTV be enough? That’s if it will come off in one piece of course. The first one didn’t. I will check the clamps also.

I put the turbo to manifold gasket that heath supplied with the injector replacement kit and I know that it raised the return tube about 1/4” in /from the original height on the rubber line. My turbo didn’t have this gasket originally, should I have used it?

I had mine all apart fixing the bad clamp on the hose down by the block, so I made a new gasket for it and RTVd the down-hill side.

Like Tim says, it's a gravity drain, so it doesn't need much, just even contact.

Back