• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Turbo Oil Return Line Upgrade

Paveltolz

Доверяй, но проверяй
Reaction score
With the differential out, I figured I'd finally get at this project I've had on the shelf for the better/worst part of a year.

If you're ditching the GM-X in favor of another Turbo, odds are that the oil return line needs modification.

When I bought the ATT from 635 years ago, he’d had his return line set up modified to use a braided stainless hose with AN-8 fittings that routed to the outside of the exhaust manifold rather than running between it and the block. The down tube and the block's oil return adapter were modified to accept the AN-8 fittings with an AN-10 to AN-8 adaptor. The block fitting was modified with a 90* AN-8 fitting.

IMG_3359.jpg

This set up worked equally as well when switching back and forth to GM-Xs and certainly made things easier as you could remove the line from the turbo via the AN fitting and then remove the down tube from the turbo after it was out of the truck. A definite plus for me back when I was swapping them out every 10 tanks of fuel

Unfortunately, I had to abandon the set up as the adapted down tube was too long to work with Heath’s Super-84 as it is positioned closer to the exhaust. As I had the a prototype turbo (not the whole kit currently being marketed), I had to make due with an on the spot fab. That meant I had to cut the OEM tube just before it made the bend to drop behind the exhaust manifold and mount it 180* from its original position. A 5/8” hose is routed to the outside of the manifold and attached at the turbo and at the engine block with hose clamps. Functional but…
IMG_3354.jpg

IMG_3356.jpg
Disclaimer/Clarification--The set up in the Marketed turbo kit is, as per design, a much better unit. Bill has sent me one but I decided that if I was going to take things apart to correct my 'temp' job, I was going to do it they way I really wanted it.

Desiring the old set up, I Googled the turbo mount and came up with a billeted AN-10 part. While I could make a complete set up with the original hose, it just wasn’t working out so, it was back to the drawing board. I chose to go with a larger diameter hose set up as I had to go with AN-10 at the turbo to make the angle and still clear the exhaust manifold.
Pieces Parts
IMG_3361.jpg

Completed unit.
IMG_3362.jpg

So, I sourced 45* AN-10 fittings and larger hose along with an AN-8 to AN-10 adaptor for the engine block.
New pieces parts
IMG_3361.jpg

Laid out, it was the same length as the old set up but it connected up just fine and had the needed clearance.
New unit assembled with the old hose for comparison
IMG_3363.jpg

Here's a comparison of the different turbo down tubes...new, hack job, old
IMG_3364.jpg

After test fitting and such, bing batta bling it was in and done.
IMG_3372.jpg

IMG_3376.jpg

IMG_3373.jpg

IMG_3381.jpg

With the air filter box back in place, you have to look for it but I know it’s there and that’s what matters.:thumbsup:

Where did you get the fitting plate for base of the turbo?

Is that a red fitting wrench in one of the pictures?

Glad to see that things are warming up (sandals in one of the pictures).

Looks great.

Where did you get the fitting plate for base of the turbo?

Is that a red fitting wrench in one of the pictures?

Glad to see that things are warming up (sandals in one of the pictures).

Looks great.

Thanks, I like the look.
I got the Turbo Oil Drain Flange off of Amazon. Godspeed was the seller but there are others. Aluminum...$10 plus what ever it was to have it shipped (looked up order history). Use Turbo Oil Drain Flange 10an in the search. I tried to get AN-8 but only the AN-10 popped up tonight on Amazon. I didn't try a google search.

The wrench is as AK said and it protects the fittings. You may recall that I treat myself to another tool or set of fittings or something superfluous but functional at the drag races. I bought that wrench at the Winternationals in Pomona this past February. You and Jack were in the stands and I cut out during Top Fuel while they were cleaning up after the guy that blew the tire all over the tracks and stands. So, I got the wrench and some other stuff taken care of before the racing restarted. I needed a size larger to assemble the hose so ended up with crescent wrenches and rags. Still managed to scratch the anodizing (shucksalmightydarn).

It warmed up nicely for a few days last week but we got wind (35mph) yesterday and today with rain and snow at the 5000' level (I'm at 4850') last night and today. Still howling out there.

Looks Awesome! Have the kit for sale yet????? Could have used this last week as the Burb is finishing its re-power.

By the way, nice flip-flops, and looks like those nails need a trim :D

Nice job! :thumbsup:

Thank you, much appreciated.

Looks Awesome! Have the kit for sale yet????? Could have used this last week as the Burb is finishing its re-power.

By the way, nice flip-flops, and looks like those nails need a trim :D

Thank you too. No, no kits for sale. I'll help folks set one up for themselves though if they want. Biggest issue would be getting the engine block plate reworked. Just not enough of those out there to make a start up business of selling these things practical. Then there's the fun of trying to figure out how long to make each hose for which turbo charger (bright side is I'd get to pick up a couple of extra trubos but there goes the profit margin again). For the do it yourselfers though, its a good project. I'd go with the AN-8 stuff though if I had to do it over again...and I just might because I can.

Great job, I did something similar with mine, Ive thought about selling it as a kit, if there is enough Interest I will
001-5.jpg

007-2.jpg

Back