• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Turbo Muffler?

big block 88

Big Block 88
Reaction score
Hey I was curious what the purpose of the plastic cover on on top of the motor is, the one that says 6.6 on it real big, I know last summer for giggles me and 921500z71 took it off my sisters LB7 to see how it sounded and it sounded alot meaner more turbo whine. I want to take mine off and see others have taken thiers off as well but what do I pug or filter that hole with so I don't hurt anything?

It's a resonator and yes, it's job is to quiet the intake. Get a 2" (IIRC) handy plug from the plumbing dept at HD or Lowe's to cap it off.

On a gasser they're called air surge tanks because the intakes are so restrictive that there's a good chance they'll literally die if you sudenly go WOT. These surge tanks serve as air resivors.

Ya what he said! Another member hear told me about doing that. I did it to mine and the turbo is defiantly louder. Its worth the $5 big ones. The one tip I have is if you get the plug buy a 5/16 nut and a lock nut so nothing falls into your turbo.

Id say the chances are pretty good! :thumbsup:

I took the rubber gromet off and installed the plug then put the gromet back on (as pictured) then put the 6.6 cover back on for looks

intake.jpg

I did the exact same except mine has a little wing nut...

On a stock truck, it'll make the intake a bit throatier...With an intake or exhaust on it, I doubt anyone would notice it.

On a stock truck, it'll make the intake a bit throatier...With an intake or exhaust on it, I doubt anyone would notice it.

Thats what I thought to! I think I can hear the turbo a little more but thats it.

The plug did come with a wing nut but I didnt want it to unscrew and have peaces going into the intake. :eek: I tried to put a lock nut on top of the wing nut but the edges of the nut hit the wing nut so I used a nut then wing nut. Better safe than sorry :rolleyes:

I havent done this mod yet, I had planned to put an aftermarket intake on, but never got around to it.

Interesting if it really makes that much of a difference.

if you have an intake or an exhaust with no cat, you wont hear any diff. I have straightpiped dual, cant even tell, except, very little at idle.

louder turbo

Hello..new here..I have been a site member of the diesel place .com for a couple years now. I have not taken the resinator off my LBZ so I don't really know first hand but all that's posted on their web site says it does absolutely nothing to make the turbo louder. Every loud turbo I've heard from a Dmax has had a larger exhaust from the turbo back installed. That comes this spring along with the Fingers Stick to stop the CEL codes you get by changing the exhaust or blocking the EGR.

What you read it true. It is designed to quiet the air entering your motor. Thats it. Some people say their turbo was louder. I plugged mine on a stock truck and immediately noticed the intake was throatier. I didnt have to get on it to tell the difference. You could hear the motor better and it was a deeper tone.

Also, people have done studies on it and those plastic resonators do and will crack at the seem, allowing air to enter the engine. Spicer over on DP filled his with water and it leaked out at all angles....Not something you want on the top of your motor.

Mine was plugged on my 04 and right after I traded in, this one got plugged too.

Attachments

• resonator.jpg
    resonator.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 16
just do it. they sell a cap as well as the plug. either way works well, but the plug style like nicks pic above allows you to replace the resonator. the cap you cant put the resonator back on.

Back