• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Turbo mouthpieces

Randy_the_Hack

Reaction score
Hi all...

A few weeks ago I stepped up to the plate and replaced my stock LLY turbo mouthpiece with an LBZ Kodiak mouthpiece. Man, what a huge difference! I've been working a huge thread on DP dealing with this and a dozen other similar mods. Just wondered if anyone over here has taken the plunge?

The versions I'm aware of are as follows:

1. Modified stock LLY mp/LLY stock intake - Grind down the sharp edges of the internal stock mp. The design of the stock mp is so terrible that even 15 minutes with a dremel can make a very noticeable difference. Cost - free (if you have a dremel).
2. LBZ mp/LLY stock intake - Replacing the stock mp with an LBZ mp. The LBZ mp is larger on the intake end (4") than the stock mp (3.5"), so the only way to make this work is to hacksaw a few inches off of the intake and use either a plumbing joint/coupler or a silicone intercooler boot to bridge between the mp and the intake. The LBZ mp has both resonator and PCV ports, so you can do whatever you had on your stock mp. Cost - $68-$195 (most $115 - $135). Currently pretty much out of stock US-wide, though they are supposed to become available later this month.
3. LBZ mp/LBZ stock intake - Same as above, except no hacksaw required, 'cause it all fits together. The downside is the LBZ intake filters are $45-$60, IIRC. No clue how much the LBZ stock intake costs.
4. LBZ Kodiak mp/LLY stock intake - The LBZ Kodiak mp fits the LLY stock intake, though the combination of the two cause the intake to be slightly mis-aligned. Fortunately, the bellows/accordion take care of that. The LBZ Kodiak mp does not have a resonator port, though it does have a PCV port. So... there's a little less disruption of airflow. The downside is that unless you go to extreme measures, the resonator is staying off. If you intend to use propane injection, you probably don't want this solution since most of the kits out there dump the propane in the resonator port. Cost - $68 - $195 (most $115 - $135). Also pretty much out of stock US-wide... again, supposedly becoming available later this month.
5. LBZ Kodiak mp/LBZ stock intake - This is an odd combination, 'cause the LBZ Kodiak mp intake side is too small to fit in the LBZ stock intake. Would require a plumbing joint/coupler. You'd be much better getting an LBZ mp.

Other possible solutions:

1. Some combination of one of the above listed mp's and some aftermarket/custom intake.
2. An aftermarket mp or complete intake/mp (TxC and a couple others are reportedly working on aftermarket mp's, aftermarket intakes, or complete solutions). The only one I know of at this time is offered by KillerBee, and his solution, IIRC, is essentially a modified LBZ full solution. I'm not offering any opinions, just reporting what I know/have heard. I believe KB's complete solution runs around $300. TxC claims his solution is a few weeks off and will kick the butt of every solution currently out there, and will be under $300.

The bottom line is that the stock LLY mp is dreadfully restrictive. Solving this problem makes a huge difference in performance and a very noticeable difference in mileage (.5 to 1 mpg or more).

Some pics...

Some pics...

First, a comparison of the three mp's currently available (theoretically), courtesy wilsonck on DP:

Threemps1.jpg

Threemps2.jpg

Now... my truck:

P8230162.jpg

P8230165.jpg

P8230167.jpg

randy, why is the mouth piece tilted so far to the right? mine laid almost parrallel with the intake runner? other than that i have done it and i also did the lbz intake filter kit. i noticed a little bit of spool up and little better maf readings while logging.

randy, why is the mouth piece tilted so far to the right? mine laid almost parrallel with the intake runner? other than that i have done it and i also did the lbz intake filter kit. i noticed a little bit of spool up and little better maf readings while logging.

Underneath the Kodiak mp there is a pipe coming off the EGR tube that sticks up against the mp. Some guys bend that tube to get it out of the way. My intent was to find a solution that didn't require bending stuff or hacksaws or rubber joints or silicone boots or anything else. Since I kept the stock LLY intake, I went with the LBZ Kodiak mp so it would fit the intake. It's shorter than the LBZ mp, so the intake accordion can make up the difference.

I've heard that bending the tube on the EGR isn't all that tough; my experience is that when I go to bend stuff, I usually don't know when to stop and I break stuff. Even though the EGR is blocked, I didn't want to take the chance.

If I find that the tranny dipstick is blocked, I may have to reconsider things.

The other thing I may have to reconsider is what TxC is working on... he just released some details and his project may indeed kick the butt of everything out there thus far. Dunno...

Randy the only other important thing missing is the part numbers for those who would want to tackle this...

The Kodiak part number is 98011736. The LBZ (non-Kodiak) is 98011738. Oh, BTW, the tranny dipstick is not in the way, and the General calls these things ducts.

Just installed mine last night...met 4Warned off of dieselplace and we put it on. Deffinately faster spools and quicker all around. Now if I could keep my foot out of it I could check mileage.:rolleyes5:

Back