• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Turbo has Gone out need suggestions

Heck, years ago, vacuum from the fuel pump of the older cars was used to operate the windshield wipers. This system worked better than the system mentioned below.
Manifold vacuum was also used for to operate the wipers.
They would work great while cruising the flats, wipe to beat the band going down hill and come to a halt when climbing grade.
They had not yet engineered the vacuum canister to pack extra vacuum for the long up hill pulls. 😹😹😹😹
Want to mess with someone, send them out to a parts store for a can of vacuum, call the parts store and tell them whats going on, to send them to another parts store and for each parts store to call ahead.. 😵‍💫😹😹😹😹

It was 2008 iirc that Ford trucks hit the using electric vacuum pumps on their diesel trucks.
It is a cheaper to buy, lasts longer, more energy efficient option. Belt driven is ok, just an older method.
Just giving option incase you want to keep vacuum system(s) and would like to upgrade.

The doorman is a descent one that is found easy for 50-65 bucks. A relay for it is around $5. The very best ones are around 250, but compared to best belt driven pumps going for 350, still less $ and better performance. Usually people that stick with belt driven don’t know, want originality, or it becomes more expensive because they are paying a mechanic to do the labor, and conversion time is a couple hours.

No pressure, just sharing options.

Personally I wont own a diesel truck that uses anything vacuum, So my first suggestion was if you can -loose it all, do it and get a Better turbo. But if $ isn’t there for it now, then I would say spend less for now and save the rest for upgrades that will pay for themselves and make the rig more enjoyable.

Yup, when the vacuum pump went out on My truck, got the Dorman unit through oriellys. It is still working well after a couple of years.
I would have liked to have gone with a different turbo, but, just no money to do so.
I did build a turbo master and it works well, I just didnt like the SES lamp coming on all the time. That and, it dropped the fuel mileage a mile or so per gallon.

Back