• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Truck too big?

Louisianarebel

Fits gonna hit the SHan soon
Reaction score
I finally got my adapter to pull my camper with my gooseneck. I figured i was going to have to lift the camper to pull it, but it works for now i think.

They want me to weld drop brackets on the leafs instead of flipping the axles. Is that the way to go?

PIC-0092.jpg

PIC-0093.jpg

I lifted the whole thing, welded square channel underneath my trailer frame, and then did it all back up again with new axles (changed out those crummy little 3500# axles and 5-bolt 15" wheels for 5000# axles with 8-bolt 16" wheels).

Gained about 5-6" overall, levelled everything, and pulls WAY better with new gear under it.

Flip the axles. DO NOT weld the springs. It will change the temper.

I don't think they mean to weld on the springs. They normally weld longer shackle mounting plates onto the frame of the trailer or they beef up the frame with box tubing as said above. I'd come off of the frame with longer mounting plates before I flipped the axles.

We are going to put tubing, mount the springs to that and put cross bracing to each side.

Gotter done.
PIC-0101.jpg

Cutting everything off.
PIC-0102.jpg

6 inch tubing
BEFORE:

PIC-0092.jpg

AFTER:
PIC-0103.jpg

Not the best comparison. Just look at the wheel wells.

What are the clearences now,not messing with you but it doesnt look like you gained much?

You are still to close. The trailer and truck will collide at the rear of the bed if cross low spots with steep angles. You need to be extremely careful. You should have a min of 5 inches the entire length of the bed - trailer overlap. 6 inches is better.

Back