• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

truck smokes white

6.5coalroller

Reaction score
Been really cold lately and idk if that has to do with anything but my truck starts fine smokes a lil for a few seconds then clears up. But for a couple miles or so it jus smokes white. It'll come up around 200 or a lil more one time then come down to around 195 and stick there where it should.

how old are the injectors? Also sounds like a sticking thermostat although I have seen some that just ran that way until everything stabilized.

That coolant temp behavior is pretty typical. It's common to see a small over-shoot of thermostat regulated temp, until the 'stat(s) open.

Having had the head gasket issues in the past, I'm assuming you aren't seeing any pressurization of the cooling system in association with this white smoke?

Any roughness or irratic idle, etc.? Like its associated w/ a single cylinder issue, as compared to all the cylinders?

With the ATT's lower turbine restriction, it would make sense that the engine would warm up at a very slightly slower rate. This shouldn't cause any problem. I've read about a few VGT turbo apps where the PCM can command the VGT mech to impose more restriction to speed warm up & lower emissions.

Cold dry air definitly changes the way these IDI's act. Mine does the same thing when it is below 10 F in the moring till it gets a little warm, Even if I plug it in.

Truck runs lyk a champ never idles funny and the injectors were said to be replaced by the last owner prolly 10-15k on them as well as the pump and pmd.

I bought my truck w/ a blown head gasket. Where the gasket failed was easy to see, as is common.

A straight edge revealed the block deck was slightly low in the area of the failure. Interestingly, the markings/surfacing cut pattern from when the block deck was originally machined were consistent across the entire deck surface including the low spot.

That makes me suspect the low spot happened after OEM block machining. As though the block was still curing/releasing stress (whatever the correct metalurgical terms are) after assembly as it goes thru all the heat/cool cycles of being run/shutoff etc., over time.

May not be the case with this situation, but certainly worth noting & checking deck/head surface straightness when there's been a head gasket failure.

Back