• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

truck shutting off

dkanderson

Reaction score
Ok i went to the parts store to get a part for the truck and on the way back it would shut off and the service engine light came on, i poped the hood and put my hand on the pmd to see if it was hot and it was cold, i moved all the wires thinking maybe somthing was lose and after that it still wouldnt start, so i kep trying and after like 2 mins it started and it did that 3 times on the way home.

I remembered on my van it wont start if the oil is low and i check the oil in the truck and its on add and i didnt have any oil on hand so i will go get some but would that be why its shuting off? thanks for any help

Oil level never heard of that causing NO start, unless there is NO oil.

How old is yr PMD? I just had a brand new PMD fail, never even made it out of the driveway for more then a block...I was lucky to get it back home. It took me 6 hrs before I gave up & at the last of things to try swapped out the new PMD & BINGO problem was solved.

Same here, I would try that...easy enough to try. From reading here & on the place there has been a rash of bad PMD's that have been reported that last 6 months or so, brand new Dtech's. Mine was a new gray Stanadyne that chit the bed, so yea I would start with that.

Nope didnt work, i put oil in it and a new pmd and it ran for alittle longer but shut off, but this time it started right back up i didnt have to wait.....im lost

Here is a suggestion FREE so take it for what it's worth nuttin LOL

If you google search Stanadyne & search for a dealer near you, they will normally sell you a USED PMD with a 14 day no questions asked replacement.

It's a great way to trouble shoot yr issue for cheap & end up with a known good spare PMD for a backup or for checking out issues like this. My only issue with this logic is now I am using my (known??? for how long who knows???) good spare PMD myself as I had to sent back my brand new one. Be aware, just because a PMD works with no issues for 14 days in a row does not mean that on day 15 it can't chit the bed...just a suggestion.

Many here have instructed/warned me about USED PMD's & yes I know there is a risk, but after my recent experience there is also risk with new...live & learn I guess...

found one on ebay ends tomorrow and its got a 2 month replacement, so hopfully it works.

i think i will drive this truck for a year or so and then im going to break down and buy a cummins cuz ive had this truck for like 2 weeks and all ive been doing is working on the damn thing....

Called pensacola fuel injection asked them if they would send me a new one and they said yes and it will ship today, I was also thinking could it be water in the fuel? cuz about 10mins after i got fuel is when it started doing it.

Called pensacola fuel injection asked them if they would send me a new one and they said yes and it will ship today, I was also thinking could it be water in the fuel? cuz about 10mins after i got fuel is when it started doing it.

I think you found your problem, always look at the most recent event. It could be water or just sediment clogging the filter. Fill a clear container from the drain and let it sit. Look for water bubbles or crap.

Ok ill try that, i know with my buddys cummins if its got water in the fuel it just runs like crap but never turns off so maybe our motors are more pickie

as the name implies tank sock is in the tank on the end of the pick up tube. I would undo the outlet line from the LP and run a hose from the LP to a 5 gal container and hot wire the pump. Then let it run fill up the whole 5 gal and watch the flow should be a good steady stream of fuel without getting any slower as it runs. After the first test blow some air back into the tank (with fuel cap off) and then try it again and see if there's any noticeable diff. Another way is to drop the tank and visually inspect it.

Back