• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Truck pulls me all over the place in 4wd

Max Attitude

Typical White Person
Reaction score
Truck pulls me all over the place in 4wd. Is it because of my worn out steering parts or something else? Below is a pic of my truck at the dunes. The front tires toe inward. What's worn out? Pitman/idler arm? Tie rods? Anything else to look for? I can't even use 4wd in the snow because it wants to head for the ditch.

picture.php

Yes I have sleeves. I have never changed the idler or pitman. I actually confirmed that as my problem tonight as I changed to my winter tires. When I turned the tire by hand as if it was steering there is a lot of play on both sides and the other tire doesn't move when I move the one side.

Did you check the hub bearings while you were at it Jared? You know, grab top and bottom?

Did you check the hub bearings while you were at it Jared? You know, grab top and bottom?

Yeah I did and they're good. They've both been replaced recently too.

Ct- why do you say centerlink? I never hear of people really replacing those on these trucks. Is that the bar that runs between the idler and pitman arms? What about the shock on there...could that cause any issues if it's worn out?

and sorry I forgot to mention it earlier but the truck has 105k miles on it.

Last edited:
The center link might not be actually bad. What you are seeing is commonly referred to as pigeon toed or toe in. It commonly happens with sled pulling or drag racing in a 4x4. It's caused by the stock center link rotating, which changes the steering geometry and allows the tires to turn in toward each other. People will replace the stock center link with a straight or solid center link.

BTW: That looks like a ton of fun.

attachment.php

Attachments

• center link.jpg
    center link.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 27
I was just looking at those...very expensive imo. $415 on dmaxstore. Are there any cheaper solid ones out there? I know I at least need new idler/pitman. Cheapest price I found was on dmaxstore for $180 for the pair. I want the support kit but they make a killing on those braces...$200 more if you want those. Does anybody know of a cheaper place for quality parts? All this stuff adds up fast and doesn't make the wife happy.

Jared, why not try putting a list together in our Vendor Request section and see what our vendors can come up with for you. I'm confident you can get that center link for cheaper than that.

Back