• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Truck Incontinence

Dan Hunter

Truck Terrorist
Reaction score
Since I had half my neck fused, I've lost maybe half my range of motion and there are some things I can't do. I took the truck to the dealership to take care of a leak. Previously, I could leave the lift pump on while it was parked overnight and it wouldn't leak but recently it began to leak even while idling.

After having it for a week, they called to say it was running fine. I pointed out that I knew that as I'd driven it to them. I asked them to read the instructions I'd typed out saying to simply turn the lift pump on and wait for the leak to materialize. They called me back and said they'd found the leak. $170 dollars later, I had it home and three days later I'm moving equipment around with the truck and it's leaking again.

I take it back and two weeks later, they call and again say it's running fine and that I need to turn the lift pump off once the truck is started. I point out that if that's what the mechanic really believes then they need to give me back my money and fire him because there isn't a single diesel vehicle on the road not running a lift pump. Moreover, if the lift pump is off and I stand on the throttle it'll starve the engine into shutting down in about 5 seconds. I ask them to again just shut it down, turn the lift pump on and wait for it to leak.

They call me back and tell me that it isn't leaking and I need to shut the lift pump off within 5 seconds of shutting down the engine. Of course this doesn't solve the whole leaking while idling thing. He goes on to explain that the lift pump is like an air compressor and just builds pressure as it runs. I tell him that I respectfully disagree with him and that I know how the lift pump works that what he described was impossible.

I went and picked it up and will put it on a lift at the auto hobby shop and hope that I can't find the leak with their help. Still, I'm astounded that they seemed to think it was acceptable to return a vehicle that was leaking fuel. I'd purchased a Toyota from them for my daughter the year before but we're done doing business. I'd planned on purchasing a new Duramax in a year but that sale will go to another dealer.

Actually the newer Duramax diesels do not use a lift pump. Regardless they need to find and fix the leak as the Oil Pressure Switch should keep the lift pump running or the ECM will depending on your truck's year. Look for a stanadyne shop - they can help fix it or refer you to a 6.5 shop. Maybe even a local member can help.

Where is the leak dripping from? Transmission area or converter drain hole?

I suspect the filter housing or line to the IP or lines at the back of the engine. Maybe even the water drain or filter air valve is leaking?

Yeah, frustrating isn't it. Seems if they had fixed a leak before they would have known to look at neighboring fittings upstream and down. And for $170 should have written up the location. It seems once you touch old plumbing the leak usually moves to a nearby joint. Good luck.

I narrowed the leak to somewhere on the fuel manager. I fresh set of gaskets/o-rings and the leak is gone.

No offense if anybody is but there isn't a single mechanic here that works at a dealership that could tell the difference between a turbocharger and a radiator. They are all just about worthless. I never recommend dealership work. The one dealership here, a guy I know took his car in for a check engine light that was staying on. Instead of fixing it, they simply cut the wire to the light to get it off. Charged $170.

Back