• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

trouble with connecting carcode

vegtech

WVO Enthusiast
Reaction score
so i bought a carcode cable from a guy and he gave me the old laptop that he was using. The battery was junk but it had a cig. adapter. The laptop woild not boot up. no big deal, i have two more. Well i grabed my netbook that has my gmtdscan but it does not have a serial port so i go to staples and buy a serial to usb adapter. installed the drivers and the laptop recognizes the adapter. but when i open carcode and hit connetct it says "enter a rs232 serial port number" anyone know what i am supposed to put there? :mad2:

I haven't used it in awhile but it should have a number there that corresponds with the usb port.

There should be an options menu at the top of the screen,you need to go through that menu to find and adjust the port setting to match the port you are using on the laptop.

Options,gateway,interface,scantool rs232 com port

Might have to go into the control panel,system,device manager to locate the port the usb adapter is on?

well i never did get the net book to work with the usb adapter but i did end up getting the laptop i got with the cable to work. CARCODE IS JUNK! It is SLOW, not user friendly at all. I have GMTDscan and VAGcom they are way better.

No question it is very unfriendly,but I have not found it slow.
I also found that mine only works on a 32 bit system and I think must be set for windows xp or older on compatibility?

My suspicion is that the slower rates are to accommodate much much older slower computers. Any computer purchased in the last decade or so will be able to work at the fastest baud rate listed. The GM computer chip may be another issue. I remember being limited by baud rates in the mid to late 90s. When I see settings like baud rate, I always crank it up to the fastest level (highest number) and then back off if there is a problem.

Ok so on a slightly related subject,I bought carcode with only the VPW interface cable for our trucks.

Since most newer vehicles are now CAN I wanted to upgrade the cable but the author wants my spare right arm for the multi platform cable.

In an attempt to save money I bought a usb ELM327 cable but have not yet found the settings to let it connect-anyone else gone this route with a good result?
What settings in carcode will get this puppy working?

Back