• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Transplant a Duramx into a newer Suburban

Merv

Reaction score
Just having some idle thoughts today whoile driving along at 80kph or so along the back roads of Ontario (drove from Ancaster to Long Point and back just because it was a beautiful day, 4 hours round trip, including "sitting on the beach" time).
Anyways, back to my idle thoughts, which was running along the lines of finding a newer Suburban with a blown engine, and then finding a Duramax engine and Allison tranny with low miles and doing a transplant. Result would be a newest generation Suburban with a diesel. Should be a sweet combo (or does GM make a diesel Suburban in the newest models?), has anyone taken on something like this?
(p.s. I love my '97 Suburban diesel)

Ferminator here did it. Search duraburb. Several companies across the country doing it. Only a couple doing it well. And yes the quad steer duraburb 4wd is available. Ka-CHING$$ But, if you know you want want for the years to come, worth it.

One of the biggest mistakes GM is making not producing these.

There is a whole company that does this conversion already. :D It is very difficult to fit the Allison underneath due to the girth of it.

duramaxsuburbans.com/

Actually the last time I talked to Chance (DuramaxSuburbans.com builder) he had called to forward some work to us and offered the URL (for a price), I think he is out of it now.

The GMT900 platform is very tricky, not for the do-it-yourselfer and you must have a GM franchise TIFFs Acct to do the necessary programing.

If you looking for a DIY do a 2003-2006 with a LBZ, it can be home built. If you want it professionally done its only 6K (includes parts&labor for build) plus Duramax so in the end its not much more to have it done, be right and get it back in 30 days.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DuraBurbinc

Back