• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Transmission Slip

motojoeis01

Reaction score
my '03 gmc duramax threw the tcm malfunction code today when i tested out stacking my banks 6 gun on 6/6 and my diablo on extreme. very fast but dont suggest it. =P lots of power and about 35 psi of boost. anyways i beleive it threw the code due to transmission slip. i was at about 60 mph so i dont know what else would of caused it.

Hey Joe...Thanks for comin.

Do you have the code? You cleared it I assume?

That combo is way more power than the stock trans can handle. I'm sure you know this so you might wanna back down the power a bit.

How'd you like that big black cloud yesterday? ):h

most likey a p0700 and p0735. did it do any sort of limp mode? i.e. limit rpm to 2000, or down shift to 3rd and stay there?

yea it was a pretty good cloud. lol i realize that was over powering it just a tad.. =P i backed the diablo to number 2 setting, 60 or 65hp i think and keep my banks around 2 to 4 unless someone wants some or if someone is asking for a breather then it gets set ti 6 but hasn't thrown the code since. it was the p0700 i belive and a unknown, it got stuck in 3rd i guess then i shut it off, cleared my codes in the middle of the street and fire her up and she was back to normal

If you want to really firgure out what you can get away with, drive it for awhile how you have it and slowly see if it will handle full power through all gears on this setting. If it does and shifts well step it up one more setting and check it out again. Once you find the limit do not stay there or your going to smoke the transmission. The biggest thing people do to kill the trans. is jump the power up and down and don't give the TCM time to properly learn. You would be surprise what a stock transmission can handle when the TCM is properly tuned in. Mine has been running 488 RwHp for the past 45,000 miles and the only issue is a slip on the 4 ->5 gear change once in a while. I just keep saying I know it's going to go so I have a fresh unit already built just waiting for it to give up the ghost.

yea well my truck has like 215k on it and no problems yet. just hope the trans stays together... like i said i got the diablo on 2 and banks around 4 unless i want to cloud someone. so youre saying im better off keeping it on 6 instead of going back and forth huh?

The best thing you can do is to keep it at the same power level all the time that does not hurt the transmission. The TCM learns how to shift each time it shifts. So if it checks itself and says its good as is then it is left alone. The downside is that once the TCM learns it changes from what is called Fast Learn to Slow Learn. All this means is that it makes smaller adjustments over a longer period of time. So when it's in Fast Learn it tries to make larger corrections quickly to keep thing in check. Changing the power level means it has to start again but since it's already in Slow Learn it stays that way and takes longer to get the necessary corrections made. This is how you damage the transmission, it thinks it good then you crank the power up and it slips and burns clutches before it can adjust for the new power.

Steve,

Do you suggest to go into fast learn before a drag race for us stock tranny guys? I know EFI live can reset taps, I'm assuming this is what your talking about.

I run my tune for a week before I go to the stip to make sure the Allison has learned the new found power.

not really needed imo. driving it somewhat like you will on the track before the race will usually clear it up enough. there are guys that just beat on the way to the track and it shifts good. fast learn makes such swing changes i would think it would hurt you more than help you.

Look the TCM has no idea how you drove it. It has several cells it stores the learned information into for each gear change. If you put it into Fast learn and then go Race you will destroy the transmission, so NO do not do it. While it may work for some it will not work for a stock transmission. Drive it at the power level you want to use it at and give the TCM the time to learn what it needs to do. Once you drive it in the area of a given cell that's the value it will learn and store. Yoou need to learn in both normal mode and tow/haul.

Look the TCM has no idea how you drove it. It has several cells it stores the learned information into for each gear change. If you put it into Fast learn and then go Race you will destroy the transmission, so NO do not do it. While it may work for some it will not work for a stock transmission. Drive it at the power level you want to use it at and give the TCM the time to learn what it needs to do. Once you drive it in the area of a given cell that's the value it will learn and store. Yoou need to learn in both normal mode and tow/haul.

Thanks..

Now, since I just bought a Stage 4/1056...The same applies?

It will take more power sooner, but the TCM has no idea it's there, so yes you need to let it learn anytime you change the power level!

Back