• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Transmission Fluid Additives

MrMarty51

Reaction score
Just curious.
I know that there most likely is nothing out there that can restore wore and hardened clutch pack seals, so thats not as much about this thread as what might be used to smooth out shifting without causing slipping in the clutch packs.
This 1991 Oldsmobile Royal 88 has a 4T60E transmission, at least I suspect it is an electronic shifted transmission, 91 seems to be that transition year. It does however have a TV cable and I did adjust that. While doing engine work changed transmission filter and fluid.
I had adjusted the TV cable before taking the car for a drive after getting the engine back together.
Back into town after the road test, slowed to make the RH turn onto my street, transmission acted like it had slipped to neutral, let off the throttle and it picked up and accelerated and shifted as normal. After subsequent drives the transmission would still do that neutral thing on slow down/down shift. Acting like cavitation, sort of.
And so I dropped the pan again to make sure the filter had not fallen out of the seal bore, it was still good to go.
Installed the pan and dumped in one gallon of new fluid. Started the engine, transmission was growling, added the three more quarts of fluid and it stopped growling upon a very small amount of fluid.
This transmission has what appears to be a modulator valve, like what was used on the TH350, etc transmissions. I read it is a governor modulator control unit.
Installed a new GM valve control. The old unit the plunger just sort of flopped around, in and out. The new one seems to be spring loaded and has a slight amount of tension against the plunger.
Took the car for a drive. Transmission then didnt seem to miss that 1st gear shift down but the down shift seems to be quite harsh.
The wifey had been using the car and said it has not done that neutral type of act when she has been driving the car.
I know not one thing about these transaxle transmissions.
I am wondering if there is a solenoid in the transmission that might not be functioning properly. A valve hanging up, etc. this new GM vacuum control device appears to have an adjustment in the vacuum hose attachment nipple. Could that possibly need to be screwed with ?
Does anyone think that some kind of transmission fluid additive might smooth that harsh shift when it drops into first gear ?

Back