• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Transmission Failing Signs

The 4L80E is a tough transmission but has it's weak points. There's a YouTube channel called Precision Transmission and the owner (Richard) has videos on all kinds of teardowns and he points out all the common flaws in various transmissions and how to make them more bulletproof. It might give you some ideas as to what you might want done to yours.

Sorry about your transmission issues, Big T. I just went through that deal with my little daily driver S10, except of course it's got the 4L60E in it. I ended up getting it rebuilt back in October.

My dad had that truck years ago and made the fatal mistake of letting some service station/garage flush it. Needless to say it messed it up. He had someone to rebuild the transmission, I don't know who, probably the same garage that screwed it up. Needless to say I dont think it was done right, transmission had issues when he gave me the truck 4 years ago. It shifted real hard from 3rd to 4th and jerked around if you was running it in third. Also reverse was getting weak, of the mornings if I didn't warm it up a few seconds it was hesitant about backing up. It's parked in a temperature controlled garage so it's not like it the parts and fluids were real cold. Sometimes taking off at the stop sign it acted like there was some hesitation, slipping. The main reason I took the truck to the transmission shop is, the transmission had started blowing fluid out the top of the housing were the wires go through, I believe there is a rubber groment there. The owner of the transmission shop said he would check things out and if the internal parts looked good and the truck drove like it should, he would only fix the leak. Otherwise if things looked bad, he would call me and let me make the decision on what I wanted done. He called me on a Monday and said that the internals looked bad, some damage from running it low on fluid and other things. I told him to rebuild it, that I need that truck, it's in pretty decent shape, what's a man to do. I suppose it's like how much money do you want to sink into a 19 year old vehicle? How many truck payments would equal that rebuild cost? That's some of the things I think about. That guy kinda thinks the same way, he said that he drives a 1995 Chevy half ton, with lots of miles on it. He was telling the truth I saw that truck parked outside.

Needless to say I had that highly recommended transmission shop to rebuild it, the owner has over 50 years of experience. The guy said they beefed it up and put in a new torque converter. Seems like they did an excellent job. It's shifts smooth as butter, holds back better going down grades and park seems to hold better on hills. They said bring it by anytime and they'd check the fluid for me. That was nice of them, but I have checked the fluid myself and it's good to go. Also at 30,000 miles on the rebuild they would service the transmission for me. He mentioned some method that they used, but he said it would be done the right way.

That major rebuild is out of the way, now if the motor will last another 151,000 miles..... :D

Great idea Will. I am trasmission ignorant, I would assume upgrades might mean betrer parts and maybe a shift kit on high performance stuff? I wished I had the ability to rebuild one.

Way back around 1981 or so I had a guy to rebuild a Turbo 350 for me, he put a shift kit in it and put a high rpm stall converter in it, the car had a built engine with a high lift cam. Since then I think that man has retired or shut down his operations.

The shop that just did my 4L60E was recommended by a mechanic that I know. They stay booked up, it appears that they know what they are doing. I should have ask the owner if they had rebuilt any Allison Transmissions just for kicks.

In general all automatic transmissions are the same, in that, they all function on the same principles.
If a person can read the book them apply from the brain to the hands what they have read, then anyone can rebuild a automatic transmission.
With extra care when installing the sealed clutch packs into their bores. Scrape, scratch or tear a seal and then it is a start all over operation, unless, each piston is tested before the pack is as it is installed into the transmissio .

^^^ Fair enough, but: There is no substitute for experience gained by a FUBAR or two you shipped out as scrap metal. Sometimes it's cheaper and time ahead to just hire this experience. At $1200 for a local rebuild and they R&R it ... They even know the problem areas and lube mods that may apply. I am not interested in figuring out transmissions. Get one thing wrong and it slips and burns out all the clutches you just put in.

I have done them enough to know it is better done by a expert. Not a professional, a professional is just someone who gets a paycheck for it.

It is like someone assembling an engine. Many can do it professionally- but ask them about removing flashing and they get a confused look on their face.

The years of knowing the fine details pay for itself. That’s some of what I am asking is what modifications, what brand components, etc.

When mine comes due- I won’t diy. But I want to take it to a shop and say I want parts a,b,c. And you can bet anything they recommend I am running by here before saying yes.
With any luck- I will be doing the 6 speed mod and it won’t be for a few more years.

Something I learned with transmissions- don’t put it off. When it starts messing up a little is when it starts eating the expensive hard parts.

Update:

We have a local mechanic on our loop road in Montana, basically operating out of a separate building on his residential property (did I mention the zoning here is non-existent?). Anyway, while dropping off my upper control arms to have the bushings installed, I talked to him about transmission. He said those symptoms are early sign of the pump failing in the transmission. That or the fluid is low. I checked the fluid and it is at the top of the cold fluid level and it is bright red. Anyway, he recommends reman transmissions from a builder in Portland, OR which comes with a 7-year warranty. I asked if they will do custom work like Trans Go Shifters (do I need?) and they will. He did not have someone for transfer cases, but I do in San Diego (4Lo is out on mine).

Plan is to get the front end done and aligned, then I will leave the truck with him for the winter while I work from SoCal as they figure out the back to office routine. When he pulls it, I will have him stick the transfer case in my wife's 4Runner on one of her trips down. This will work out well as winter is typically not heavy fishing season for me, thus low use time for the truck.

Transgo Shifters, do I need?

Torque converter, do I need a new one? If so, which one.....and no I'm not interested in that low stall one.

Talked with my mechanic at Eagle Watch automotive. Had not pulled the transmission, but we’ve got plenty of time. He was starting in on a bullet proofing of a Ford Excursion with 6.0 powerstroke. Has to pull the whole body. Oh boy. I will check his progress on Thursday.

I dont know about the excursions, for the Ford trucks I have heard there is a painful work around without having to totally pull the cab.
I imagine the excursion would most likely be different.
Makes Me wonder, is the new Dodge and GM trucks so difficult ?

Back