• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Transgo jr.

The R&R is the most difficult part. If I were going to pull the tranny to put TC in I would go ahead and install the clutches too. Then you will never wonder if you should have. Plus, if you burn the stock clutches you will pay for R&R again.

I think the Stage III would be the way to go IMO for that kind of power.

Is it worth doing the transgo jr. and torque converter uprgrade for an extra 120-160 hp or going all out with a suncoast 4?

The R&R is not that bad, 3 hours in and out. If you only plan on running that amount, a trans go and a converter will probably hold up. A trans go and a converter will be low to mid 2k and a full build will be in the mid to high 3k to mid 4k range for SCIII or SCIV on the higher end.

I say, if you have the money and you don't want to pay labor twice do the full build and be done with it, but if you are on a budget, the converter and TransGo will do wonders.

I was poised right where you are about two years ago. I thought that my quest for power would be sated with an addtional 150 hp or so.

I ended up going the built tranny route, thinking that if I am going to spend the money, I might as well save up and do everything that I will possibly need. I didn't stay at that extra 150 hp level for long.

Last edited:
The Transgo jr will help an '01-'05 by increasing pressure from 82psi to about 200psi, maybe a little more to the C3 clutches ( 3rd and 5th gear ) and c4 clutches ( 2nd gear ). Problem is there is not enough piston are in the C2 clutch piston ( 4th and 5th ) to clamp down enough. ( piston sq in X pressure = holding force ) Plus the fact that the apply pistons for C2 clutch ( 4th-5th ) and the C1 clutch ( applied 1 through 4 gears ) do not apply pressure in the center of the bottom clutch so you are only getting 50% of the clutch surface working for you. The 6 speed re -design of the Allison solved the problem with the C1 and C2 clutch by increasing piston size and applying each of these clutches at the center so there is no distorting of these clutches.
The full Transgo differs only in the fact that it addresses the piston problem and solves it. The rest of the kit is identical.

Thanks alot mike. I was gonna visit you while i am in LA, but didn't want to bother you at work. I am heading back to Ar. today. I have already met Eric Merchant and he was a good guy.

Thanks alot mike. I was gonna visit you while i am in LA, but didn't want to bother you at work. I am heading back to Ar. today. I have already met Eric Merchant and he was a good guy.

Stop by if you still have time. :cheers2:

I would love to, but I am heading out at lunch to beat the Vegas traffic. I haven't seen my wife in 6 weeks.:drool5::ihih: The next time I work out here, I'll make it a point to meet you, and buy you a beer.

I would love to, but I am heading out at lunch to beat the Vegas traffic. I haven't seen my wife in 6 weeks.:drool5::ihih: The next time I work out here, I'll make it a point to meet you, and buy you a beer.

Looking forward to it. :thumbsup:

Back