• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Transfer case

whatnot

Reaction score
I am trying to decide what to do about it. Over a year ago I found the hole in it and all the oil gone. I just slapped some JB weld on it and refilled it. In the last couple weeks it started clunking again when coming to a stop. (It was doing it till I refilled the transfer case last time)
I haven't been under it yet to see if the JB weld came off or if there is a new hole.
I need to gets parts ordered but am trying to decide if I should just buy a whole used transfer case or just a case half. I figure if I buy the case onlyI will probably end up needing a whole new transfer case and I will be stuck with it.
How long should I expect it to take to pull a case apart and add the pump rub kit? I don't really want to be without the truck for days.

definently looks to be pump rub, get some jb weld on it and get that fix asap!!! the problem can only get worse the longer the problem persists

definently looks to be pump rub, get some jb weld on it and get that fix asap!!! the problem can only get worse the longer the problem persists

He's already done that once and now its doing it again.

Sounds like its time to fix it for real this time.:pop2:

I agree Id just fix it.

I know from Gm reman transfer cases are $1,800.

But Im sure you can find them much cheaper else ware. The pump upgrade kit from MA is $250

I already bought the MA upgrade kit. I just need to either pull my case and fix it or buy a new one to put it in.
How long should I expect it to take to pull the transfer case, fix it and re-install it? (I never did it before)
The main reason for my post was to get an idea of what I should expect. If I just buy a case half and then need a whole transfer case I could be without my truck for over a week while I find a used one and get it shipped here and I would have wasted a lot of money on the case cover.

Sounds like you should just play it safe and see if you can pick up a used one, throw the kit in it and then throw it in your truck.

Its the safest bet especially if its the only mode of transportation you have.

I got it all done back in August. I got a used one with 50k miles on it and put the kit from Eric in it. The kit went in a lot easier than I thought it would.
I sold the old transfer case so it didn't end up costing much more than it would have been to just get a new rear housing.

Back