• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Transfer Case Shot, or Just Bad Actuator?

Been a while, but finally got the case in the truck on Tuesday night. Back up and running finally. Brief summary:

Got lucky for a change as the spare transfer case sitting in my shop still bolted to a spare NV4500 was a Jasper rebuild from 2013. Still opened the case to make sure everything was good, and it was clearly low mileage. No rebuild necessary here!

I replaced the rear output shaft seal and bushing, as the seal looked somewhat worn. I also upgraded the snap ring that holds the output bearing to a split ring retainer. Apparently the slip yoke can damage the regular snap ring over time, which is what this upgrade aims to solve.

the part number is Sonnax 100420-02k, there's a quick video where I learned about this upgrade here

Many thanks to @Husker6.5 for the hard gasket recommendation for the two case halves

Haven't opened up the bad case yet, but when I pulled the rear sensor from the tailhousing it was covered in fuzz. Something is definitely ground up. And I had only changed the fluid last April with the recommended DEX-III ATF, and it was grey/ black in color when i drained it, no trace of its original red color. Have a feeling once I open it I'll have some material for the carnage section 🤣

Oh I also discovered why the 4WD fuse was blown. The brown wire (which for the upgrade has to be spliced into a 12v key on source) from the actuator harness was routed too close to the downpipe and crossover and the loom and wire had melted through, causing it to short out and blow the fuse. I re- routed the wire to run over the starter and behind the starter heat shield safely away from hot exhaust.

Back