• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

transfer case leak?

tinypeckerwood

Reaction score
Can anybody tell me why my transfer case is leaking again. I had the dealer r&r the output seal under warranty. This was done at about 26k.Now I have 44k and it is leaking again. Any ideas?

It is leaking from the seal, not the case. So, don't jinx me. And I thought the same thing, till I crawled my happy butt under to check.

Well, that is much better news.

Mine is starting to seep from the tail-shaft seal. the truck has 39K on it, so it's going to have to be fixed through the GMPP extended warranty.

The thing that pisses me off is that I just replaced the transfer case oil with 3 quarts of Mobil 1 Synthetic. :( --I wonder if I can make sure they put Mobil oil back in.

Damn, I hate having to go back to the dealers for any repairs.

If the seal is wearing out prematurely it can be caused by a worn front u-joint. In order to get a good feel for how much wear, it's best to pull the driveshaft. Worth a look anyway. My rear t-case seal has been weeping for 40k miles or more (since I went to the M1 3 qt fill) but there's never any oil on the floor so I don't worry about it...

Little update.

Got the truck to the dealer today. This is what they said, That when they replaced the seal they did not install the updated seal housing. Now they are going to fix it right I guess. They are also going to replace my hydro boost, it is leaking as well. Actually they are going to "try and warranty it, I am pushing real hard for you". I hope they do, because I think that is an expensive part.

All right I got the "General" back last night. It looks like they replaced the the yoke and the seal. No leaks so far, but it has only been about 10 miles. I have my fingers crossed.

Back