• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Transfer Case Leak

Non Typical

Roller of the Smoke
Reaction score
Not really sure which area to put this in? :confused: So, after sitting in the driveway for a year and a half, I got my Dad's 95' 6.5 going. Turns out, he had the wrong flywheel inspection cover. We had a 95 Jimmy in the driveway at the same time the TC in the 6.5 went out. Both tranny's were pulled, and the wrong cover went with the Jimmy when it was sold. So my Dad tried to reinstall the cover, and couldn't get it to bolt up snug without it grinding.

I had an extra cover, bolted it up, checked over a few things, got it running nicely.

Except, at the forward yoke on the transfer case, a leak has started. A rather fast leak.

So now I am trying to decide whether to yank the t-case.

The transfer shifter feels really loose, it slides back and forth fairly easily and it doesn't feel like it's really locking in place. I can move the truck in 2wd, but it grinds a bit going into 4X. (More than normal.)

Can I replace the output seal without yanking out the t-case? Or should I just pull and rebuild it?

Yeah you can do it in the truck. If it is like the 241 and 208, you can take the nut off the yoke and pull it right out. There is a seal in the case and an o-ring behind the nut, so you need to change both (trust me on this). Drain the fluid first.:)

Sorry to steal, but does the front pumpkin (diff) seal work like that?? Mine leaks really bad.....

My Borg Warner T-caser leaks when nose is down a little grade parked. I'll be watching this thread closely. (As if i don't watch every thread closely, lol)... I really have nothihng better to do after work...

LOL. Hopefully we can help someone else out too.
I'm going to get the seal, hopefully do that on Friday.

Any thoughts yet on the shifter? I can slide it back and forth very easily. Almost no resistance at all. Yet, it definitely is trying to change ranges, as it will grind some.

Is the tension on the shifter itself, or on the the T-case? Mine defanately has alot of tension, perhaps so you don't accidently bump it in and out of 4x4? Maybe the tension is on the shifter itself, and the actual transfer case is pretty easy?

I've driven a lot of OBS chev 4X's, and this feels nothing like I have had before. I drove this truck before and used 4X, and it felt normal. I can go under and push the actual arm on the stud end and move it fairly easy. So I am thinking of pulling the t-case.

My Borg Warner T-caser leaks when nose is down a little grade parked. I'll be watching this thread closely. (As if i don't watch every thread closely, lol)... I really have nothihng better to do after work...

Matt at the other site there is a thread on B/W T-cases that i put a link to a place with good prices on parts for them....i rebuilt mine in the 1 ton....been 30,000 mile and not had any trouble....i'm not at home have link and phone numbers on other puter..

Matt at the other site there is a thread on B/W T-cases that i put a link to a place with good prices on parts for them....i rebuilt mine in the 1 ton....been 30,000 mile and not had any trouble....i'm not at home have link and phone numbers on other puter..

Tyvm kind sir.

Edit: Just searched for the link and couldn't find it over there... If you have it please let me know whenever you get a chance.

Last edited:
Back