• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Transfer case fix? How hard to do it?

Max Attitude

Typical White Person
Reaction score
I was wondering how much work is involved with taking the t-case out and fixing the pump rub issue. I don't have a leak yet (since I last looked anyways). I want to fix it before the leak happens. MA makes a kit...kinda pricey but much cheaper than fixing the t-case later. Is there anyone else who makes a fix? Doesn't Mike L or Kennedy have something cheaper?

I had the MA kit put in by a local guy. As was stated, there are good writeups at the diesel place. If you do the fix, take a good look at your seal as that sometimes starts to weep a little. I had mine done at 86K and there was no sign of wear and the clip was still in place.

I had the MA kit put in by a local guy. As was stated, there are good writeups at the diesel place. If you do the fix, take a good look at your seal as that sometimes starts to weep a little. I had mine done at 86K and there was no sign of wear and the clip was still in place.

I'm hoping to find mine isn't wearing either. I plan on doing the seal when I have it apart. Thanks

As the saying goes, " the squeaky wheel gets the grease" I believe that only a very small fraction of the transfers cases have the problem, but those that do post on the problem. That is good to know there is a problem, but if all posted that never had the problem the site probably couldn't handle the amount of posts. IMO. My neighbor that has an 03 Dmax thought I was crazy for doing the MA fix, but my thoughts are that I would rather have a piece of mind while towing and not wondering if the case was going to take a dump.

As the saying goes, " the squeaky wheel gets the grease" I believe that only a very small fraction of the transfers cases have the problem, but those that do post on the problem. That is good to know there is a problem, but if all posted that never had the problem the site probably couldn't handle the amount of posts. IMO. My neighbor that has an 03 Dmax thought I was crazy for doing the MA fix, but my thoughts are that I would rather have a piece of mind while towing and not wondering if the case was going to take a dump.

Yeah, I plan on keeping my truck for a long time so I want to fix it cheaper now. Our work truck had the problem at around 116k. Costed $930 for the dealer the fix with the new clip design and a new t-case half.

I think it's more common than most people know. Merchant Automotive does a lot of them!

It's not that hard to do.

I did mine by myself. The hardest part was lifting the case back in lone but it can be done.

I used Merchants part and a new back half GM case.

Mine had rubbed through at about 90K miles. Caught it before any other major damage was done.

why would you waite till it made a hole and had to spend an extra 300 plus dollars. I just did one yesterday and i have 6 more to do they take a total of about 2 1/2 hour by myself. not very hard ,just my .02 cents Randy

Because it's 10-15 degrees here lately and I don't feel like doing it in this weather. I could try heating up the barn but it'd probably only make it to 25*. I'll wait a month or 2 and take my chances. If it rubs through I'll try JB Weld on the hole. Others have used it successfully.

why would you waite till it made a hole and had to spend an extra 300 plus dollars. I just did one yesterday and i have 6 more to do they take a total of about 2 1/2 hour by myself. not very hard ,just my .02 cents Randy

Because when it happened, I didn't realize that it was a problem. I hadn't read alot about it happening.
I caught it before destroying anything else though. If I had known what I know now, I'd have done it sooner!

I fixed it with JB weld and ran it for several thousand miles before changing it.

Its kind of like Russian Roulette. A person does not know if thier truck will have the pump rub and at what mileage it will happen at. Mine has about 25,000 miles on it and I just keep wondering at what point it will have that problem. It would ease my mind a bunch if I would go ahead and get the pump upgrade now and be done with it, but I don't care about taking on that job myself. I might find someone in the area that knows what they are doing and get them to fix it. When I talked to the dealer about it they acted like it was not a big issue and I just thought to myself, naturally they are going to down play it, like it is not a problem.

FWIW, Kennedy has a fix as well. It's a lot cheaper, and it'll work if you're on a budget. I ordered on of them, since I have to spend enough coin to fix my trans and driveshaft bushing, I can't really spend another $200 for the pump fix at this point. Having said that, if you have the coin, I'd recommend Eric's fix. IMO, it's a better solution, and what the pumps SHOULD have been to begin with.

Once you get the case out of the truck, it's pretty easy to take apart and do the fix.

FWIW, Kennedy has a fix as well. It's a lot cheaper, and it'll work if you're on a budget. I ordered on of them, since I have to spend enough coin to fix my trans and driveshaft bushing, I can't really spend another $200 for the pump fix at this point. Having said that, if you have the coin, I'd recommend Eric's fix. IMO, it's a better solution, and what the pumps SHOULD have been to begin with.

Once you get the case out of the truck, it's pretty easy to take apart and do the fix.

What is Kennedy's fix like? Any pictures? I'll probably end up with Eric's cause I plan on keeping the truck for the long haul so I don't want to have to worry about it.

When I had the MA kit installed by my transmission guy, he hadn't heard of the problem. He did it about 1 year ago for me. This morning I ran into him while getting coffee and he told me since he did mine, he also did 4 more this past year with 4 different fixes from clips for all 4 taps to just 1 plastic clip.

i got one from mike l. i havent had a chance to put it in yet, much like you Max. his too was a lot cheaper, like kennedys.

Ken

i got one from mike l. i havent had a chance to put it in yet, much like you Max. his too was a lot cheaper, like kennedys.

Ken

Same idea as kennedy's ...or a another different setup/fix?

I emailed Mike L a while back about his "fix" but never got a response. At this point I'm about ready to get the MA fix but I have a little time before I make my final decision.

i would like to believe the same idea, ish, but i have yet to intsll on mine, so im not sure. i sent a PM to mike about it, and never recieved one back, so i just called the shop and asked about it. if you want the number, PM me. i sent himn a PM about my trans, and i got one the next day. wierd.

Ken

Back