• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

trans question.

slacker

Reaction score
so what manual transmisison came in a 89 2500 gasser chevy 4x4. ive googled the shit out of it and cant find anything on it. i have a 92 1500 chevy 4x4 gasser with the nv4500 and my input shaft is gone and 4th has seen better days. found a 89 parts truck with a good running (sounds like its better off then mine) 5.7L, and a good amount of parts i need to make mine look a little better. but yeah, what trans mission is it, and can i just slap it in and go with no major issues. i use the pickup as a daily driver and occasional mud hole runner. but mainly dd.

the shifter shows L,1,2,3,4 and r
maybe it was L,1,2,3 and r. shit id have to go look again tomorow and look at the case better.

Some 89's had the SM465 4spd,you can spot a NV4500 by it's aluminum extension housing. All the light duty aluminum 5sps had none removable bellhousings .

so this one is either the sm465 (i think it is) or the nv4500 then. wont know till i really inspect it and find a build plate.

so this one is either the sm465 (i think it is) or the nv4500 then. wont know till i really inspect it and find a build plate.

SM-465 is 4-speed, has real low and 4th (3-knob) is direct, knob says L, 1, 2, 3, R. NVG-4500 (as you know) is 5-speed, has real low and OD, knob says L, 1, 2, 3, OD, R.

I don't think either of them is going to have a build plate, just look at the picture of the two, big difference:
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/sm465.htm
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/nv4500.htm

thanks for the pics and info. actually my nv4500 that i just pulled out of my 92 gasser had a plate on the side that told me the build date and also the model type.

Back