• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Trans coolers....

not quite it's more of a cut and play, usually more designed for the 6.5 cummins and ford guys but i've had people rig them in to the allison.

mikes is one of the only ones i've seen as a plug and play.

not quite it's more of a cut and play, usually more designed for the 6.5 cummins and ford guys but i've had people rig them in to the allison.

mikes is one of the only ones i've seen as a plug and play.

Gotcha, i do like the idea of the fan though.

The truth is the cooler was purchased at Earl's Supply as an off the shelf Setrab unit. The cooler was bought by Mike. He brought it to me and I made the install kit and had Jiffy-tite make the custom fittings for the cooler. We set Mike up with our suppliers and packaging companies. Mike was charged $4.92 for the fittings and if anyone wants to believe they can be bought for $1.64 (1/3rd) that's great but is not true. Mike was charged our cost for the fittings and nothing for us to do the design and testing for him. The testing and fitting of the cooler were done here at our shop on one of our trucks. After we turned the finished kit over to Mike he began to sell them. Mike had helped me over the years so when he could not do it, I did it for him. No big deal.

The big deal is trying to make it into something it's not. It is a simple cooler kit, it's been done by many for longer than myself or Mike has been doing it. RenoDmax did a DIY kit using the Earl's version of the same cooler, Mike and gang slammed it from day one. Both coolers do the same job and you can buy what you like but do not read something into it as one is better than the other. That is simply not the case. Earl's coolers are used throughout the racing world from Formula 1 down to our pickup trucks.

Pat
I not going to event get into the same old BS with you again.

None of this is true. You guys can believe whom you wish.

DieselTech,

I saw nothing wrong with your first post, but this is where I feel you tried to get a jab in just for the sole purpose of trying to berate someone you have past issues with and maybe went as far as to try and hurt his business... While I see absolutely nothing wrong with pointing out there are other alternatives,(Like RenoDmax found out through diligence and creativity) so I would recommend to you: just point them out with specific part #'s fitting #'s etc...or the brackets and or kits if there are any...and refrain from making this a personal vendetta...

Yes... the others spoke there peace on the matter and there are differences of opinion on the other facts...but it should not have even come to that in the first place...some of the statements you made were unnecessary to the topic at hand and should have been deleted as it was just off topic personal BS... If you want to help members thats fine but do it without bringing in the personal aspect of your past issues with one another...

to the others McRat, MikeL...I know it was only fair for you to come in and defend yourselves/rebut against the post that was made... but it should not have turned to personal insults...let the members judge by the facts you present to them (less the personal issues)

I think(hope) everyone has made there point by now on the trans coolers...so feel free to add any technical information you can on trans coolers... which one and why it is better etc...best value for the dollar...where to buy one...true Setrab vs. an Earls Setrab...Kit vs do it yourself comments...

If I missed something please feel free to PM me...I am still learning here...

Pepp

To me, it's easy to see...

I will keep all my posts technical and will not respond to hits on my products. I will leave that to the mods. Sorry for the disruption guys.

There is nothing wrong with the cooler that Mike sells, but, it is also no better than the DIY cooler Renodmax made up. It a decision of what works better for you from the dollars and cents standpoint.

that may not be true...

Here's a question...Regarding an Earls cooler vs a true Setrab cooler...

do we know for a fact they are made exactly the same...?

could the true Setrab be of a higher quality?

obviously it is somewhat different if the true Setrab has to have special made fittings to work on the early LB7 and the earls is plug and play...(I don't personally know what the manufacturing process is )but if they are not off the same extruding or mold during manufacturing there may be different spec in the alum alloy used down to the wall thickness...

that may not be true...

Here's a question...Regarding an Earls cooler vs a true Setrab cooler...

do we know for a fact they are made exactly the same...?

could the true Setrab be of a higher quality?

obviously it is somewhat different if the true Setrab has to have special made fittings to work on the early LB7 and the earls is plug and play...(I don't personally know what the manufacturing process is )but if they are not off the same extruding or mold during manufacturing there may be different spec in the alum alloy used down to the wall thickness...

They are made differently and in their own seperate plants. I like the fins on the Setrab better but I doubt it makes much of a difference. When I bought the first 2 original Setrab coolers I had to buy them from Earl's ( Setrab WD ) because they would not sell to the public. In fact, Earls did not have a cooler ar this time and Setrab is all they carried. I chose the 925 model because of its size and distance between fittings. This cooler is a Nascar engine cooler.
I have sold quite a few to GM dealers under GM factory authorization. When I was questioned by them about what brand I used it was a done deal when they heard Setrab.
If you are on a budget and can't afford my cooler, call Tom at Earls 310 644 0881 and buy one of his coolers. If you want more info on comparing the two coolers; call Marv at Setrab 740 967 1726. Between both guys you will get a bunch of good info and make your choice. Either one is good.

Thanks Mike.........I like yours just fine! Watching you install mine I observed that the hardest part of the install was getting the plastic off. It's pretty cool the way the stock line connectors snap right into your cooler. I have put over 20,000 miles of cooler tranny temps on my truck since it was installed. 90% of those miles were with the camper on and towing the boat. I'm a happy customer:smile5: Let the detractors say what they may I would still buy it today!

If all of the great minds in the duramax community would work together toward the advancement of the Dmax/Allison, we all would be alot farther ahead. Instead of constant pissing matches of who's idea or invention or whatever else is the best all of the time. I personally would go with the MikeL cooler I am not a "fab my own brackets guy" like reno. Great job reno for the work and the write up on the cooler. Just state the options. For me the choice is simple. Others need more info on the DIY install, cause they can do it. I was hoping the old fighting would not move with us to the new forum.

Moderators feel free to delete if I am out of line!!

Back