• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Trans coolers....

LiftedLaramie

Recruit
Reaction score
What cooler/coolers are everybody running on their trucks. Im gonna get something soon, but i wanna make sure i do this right the first time...

There are several cooler that will do the job well. Earl's and Setrab come to mind first and they will be very easy to make work in your application.

There are several cooler that will do the job well. Earl's and Setrab come to mind first and they will be very easy to make work in your application.

I will look into these..., just to be clear, most of these applications are pretty much "plug and play" so to speak correct?

Also, is it feasable to run two coolers, or is it easier to just run one bigger/better one?

One biggest...

I run MikeL's...and I love it. Good service, lots of knowledge too.

what kind of drops did you see? Seems how your in the city, i assume you do lots of the stop and go, does this cooler noticeably help in those situations?

Hijack...In regards to temps. I get it good and hot in traffic when it is over 105 OAT. Will a bigger cooler help in this situation? Or will it just cool off faster when I get moving again?

One biggest...

I run MikeL's...and I love it. Good service, lots of knowledge too.

I have MikeL's on my rig also for about 3 years now. It really helps. I live near Mike's shop so he installed it for me. Nicely thought out really a plug n play. It uses the factory fittings and it comes with new bracket and bolts. It took him longer to get to it than to install it. First thing I noticed was lower temps and faster cooling. Eg: Long steep grade OST 107* with camper and boat 17,900lb. Never got past the last mark before 200* I will tell you guys this. Same hill same load except it was about 90* OST I ran 207* after I put on the 265 tires! It runs about 10* hotter consistently with the 265's

Hijack...In regards to temps. I get it good and hot in traffic when it is over 105 OAT. Will a bigger cooler help in this situation? Or will it just cool off faster when I get moving again?

I don't drive it much in traffic so I can't say about that. I can say it cools faster.

I designed and made the Mike L. cooler kit for the 5 speeds. It uses a Setrab cooler and I believe it's part number was 945 but do not remember for sure. It requires a different fitting as the threads in the cooler are different than the stock cooler fittings. The Earl's cooler has the same thread size as the stock cooler fittings and from the looks of the cooler it appears to have been made by Setrab for Earl's. Earl's sells Setrab units as well. If you look on the old site you can find where RenoDmax did a DIY for it. Both of these coolers do about the same job and the temperature drops are pretty much the same. If you do not mine a little work you can save yourself about $200 by using the Earl's cooler.

Last edited by a moderator:
what kind of drops did you see? Seems how your in the city, i assume you do lots of the stop and go, does this cooler noticeably help in those situations?

I have not gone over 200 under any circumstances yet... However, I have not towed all that heavy in the summer yet either...mebbe ~8K

In stop and go, you will see the temp gauge rise a little, and fall back...it is kinda kool.

I have not gone over 200 under any circumstances yet... However, I have not towed all that heavy in the summer yet either...mebbe ~8K

In stop and go, you will see the temp gauge rise a little, and fall back...it is kinda kool.

Sweet, sounds like thats what im gonna need to get before summer hits.

I'm glad to see we are still beating this topic to death!
dedhorse.gif

Earls and Setrab are both excellent choices and many seem to be very happy with either one.

There's not very many other choices out there.

Either one is much better than stock IMO.

I'm glad to see we are still beating this topic to death!
dedhorse.gif

Earls and Setrab are both excellent choices and many seem to be very happy with either one.

There's not very many other choices out there.

Either one is much better than stock IMO.

True they both are quality products...I was among the first to purchase one from MikeL., and am very happy with it...;)

Back