• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tranny Fluid brand???

I Believe they come with dex III and GM tops them off with dex VI. someone can correct me if i'm wrong.

Yes, Dex VI sucks in the extreme cold! Transyd and Amsoil TQ Drive are the only two that I would go with. Right now I have to use standard petro fluid since the new one is fresh and Amsoil says to wait 7500 mile before changing to their TQ Drive.

I think that all of the popular syn trans oils are good and with a deep pan you're on your way, but to really deal with high heat I belive you will need an oversized trans cooler. The reason I say this is because even though the oil can take the heat, it will eventually get hot and then your trans internals are gonna take a beatin'. So, for triple digit outside temps only a trans cooler is really going to do the job.
JP

I think that all of the popular syn trans oils are good and with a deep pan you're on your way, but to really deal with high heat I belive you will need an oversized trans cooler. The reason I say this is because even though the oil can take the heat, it will eventually get hot and then your trans internals are gonna take a beatin'. So, for triple digit outside temps only a trans cooler is really going to do the job.
JP

I agree, Torque Drive (or Amsoil ATF (Dex VI) if you're under warranty) + a big tranny cooler keeps the Ally happy.

Does anyone know of any comparisons done between Dex VI and Transynd.

Mike L says that dexron VI came on the scene too fast to have been tested to the extent that it should have been. When you change it, transynd or a TES-295 rated fluid and you will be okay. Amsoil torque-drive is not TES-295 rated, but it was reverse engineered to match transynd and it's pretty close.:D
You can get transynd at any Allison dealer. Dealer locator is in the upper right corner of their web page.
Link to: Allison Transmission

Mike L says that dexron VI came on the scene too fast to have been tested to the extent that it should have been. When you change it, transynd or a TES-295 rated fluid and you will be okay. Amsoil torque-drive is not TES-295 rated, but it was reverse engineered to match transynd and it's pretty close.:D
You can get transynd at any Allison dealer. Dealer locator is in the upper right corner of their web page.
Link to: Allison Transmission

Here are some reasons why its not a TES-295 rated oil read this page of Q&A and they talk about the reason why its so hard to get the rating.

"Why are there not other products licensed as TES-295?
Competing lubricant companies seeking TES-295 approval for their own formulations are faced with formidable obstacles. Allison requires a test to be run on a specialized test stand, which it has not made available to other lubricant companies. Furthermore, Allison requires a field trial but has not established formalized field trial protocol. This effectively locks out competing oil companies and allows Allison and Castrol to charge exorbitant prices."

That's why Torque Drive isn't certified. There are many games in this industry, this is but one.

"Why are there not other products licensed as TES-295?
Competing lubricant companies seeking TES-295 approval for their own formulations are faced with formidable obstacles. Allison requires a test to be run on a specialized test stand, which it has not made available to other lubricant companies. Furthermore, Allison requires a field trial but has not established formalized field trial protocol. This effectively locks out competing oil companies and allows Allison and Castrol to charge exorbitant prices."

That's why Torque Drive isn't certified. There are many games in this industry, this is but one.

That's good information. Thanks Aston.

You can certainly trust that when Amsoil puts thier name on it and backs its with a warranty its not going to be a cheap product. More often than not it is better than what the MFG recommends.

i read somwhere there was a certain way you had to mix the transynd with the dextron.... i dont know if you had to get the dextron somhow or how that worked. Thats the only reason i havent done it to mine yet...

You can mix Dexron and Transynd, the results will not be as good as if you had switched over to transynd. I have not heard that you had to mix it a certain way. if you do decide to switch over completely to synthetic be sure to install a new internal filter as well as a new spin on filter.

Is there any point to me spending the big bucks and flushing my tranny and putting in Amsoil Torque Drive when I have 180k on my tranny right now?

Or should i just run a cheaper syn blend like max life and then maybe look at the pricey stuff after my tranny dies and is rebuilt and beefed up...

Back