• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tranny Build and Leaving Tune Installed...

Mad Maxx

See, what had happened was...
Reaction score
Well....it's been almost a year since I bought my truck new, and has been run on PPE HOT+2 Level 6 since July 4th '07, my Tranny is starting to fight back. I think that's pretty damn good for a 100% bone stock Tranny (only has upgraded Fluid) to last this long on Level 6.

I have 3 local shops to choose from to do the Tranny build. 1 of which have done 2 4L60e builds for me, and have been very happy with their work. Just don't know if they have ever done an Allison build before.

My question is... When I drop the truck off to them, should I leave the PPE Level 6 in there, should I reset it back to stock, or should I just take it down a notch to say Level 3 or 4?

When I built my trans I left the PPE level 8 tune in it. You have to get the trans used to the power. Bring the power up slow. Do not leave the shop with the pedal to the floor. You do not want the trans learing a lower power level then bringin the power up then it has to learn again. I now have EFI live and I do everything from towing to daily driving with my race tune. I do not like making the trans relearn a lot.

Yea, I'm gonna make the switch over to EFI too, now that I'm gonna have a built Tranny and all.

So I should just leave Level 6 in there then?

I know not to beat on it when it's learning.

Just leave level 6 in. I left level 8 in. As the trans starts to shift right start giving it more throttle. That is what Mike L told me to do. He said run the truck at 1/4 throttle until it shifts right then go to 1/2 throttle then 3/4 then full. Then do the same thing in tow/haul mod. Make sure you reset the Taps witht he PPE for the trans.

Install the tune you plan on using most of the time when trans is built. Doesn't matter if it's tow or kill.

i used to be a learn it stock guy, but others have convinced me otherwise. set it to kill and leave it there:D. now that you have a trans, or soon to have one.

make sure that the shop that does your trans can Tech2 it. If they can't, you will want to find someone who can and line somthing up with them. You need to put you TCM in to fast learn after it is built. If not all of the things that it was doing before to compinsate for slippage of clutches and things like that, it will try to do on this new set of clutches and she will shift BAD!

When I built my trans, I had to wait about a week before I could clear the TCM and my 3-4 shift under power was bad enough to break input shafts!

i agree philbilly, i use the tech 2. i have used efi and it is like there is a soft limit that efi can reset, but a hard limit that only a tech 2 or allison scanner can acess.

Ah, well if the shop has one or not (I'm sure they do) there is a Chevy dealer 1/2 mile down the road. They'll DEF. have one.

i agree philbilly, i use the tech 2. i have used efi and it is like there is a soft limit that efi can reset, but a hard limit that only a tech 2 or allison scanner can acess.

I have had the same experience. I have also found the Allison DOC to work better than a Tech 2.

Back