• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Trailer Tires

cajun4x42006

Reaction score
Just to remind all the campers out there as camping season gets kicked off to check your tires well. Trailer tires are good for 4-5 years no matter what the tread looks like. Check your side wall and look at the manufacture dates. I figured i'd push mine for an extra year and ended up with 2 blow outs first camping weekend we went on. Good luck and Happy camping. I ended up parking my camper at my cousins house, and had to go back and get it after purchasing new tires. 2hr trip one way with these Diesel prices not COOL.

Exactly, trailer tires are not made to 'wear out' (and have a life of 30K if you do run em far...)

Try and stay away from made in China rubber as their shelf life is even less. Hi-Run tire brand you need to RUN AWAY!!!

Top speed of trailer tires is 65 MPH any faster and you risk heat buildup and separation.

Excellent advice. I pushed mine too long (6 years), as the tread looked brand new with no tire wear. I got my first blowout ever on the highway. It sucks to go out on vacation and have to change a tire on the interstate. As soon as I got to my destination, I went out and bought 4 new Goodyear Marathons, as I was not taking any chances for the ride home. In checking out the other remaining tires, it appears that the rubber starts to separate from the canvas type material (They were all going at the same time). Could be from the heat, UV rays, or just plain tire design. :???: Nonetheless, good advice to replace by the years, not by tread wear.

Yep...don't know if Radials separate in the manner like RI (Jeff) mentioned... but a good reminder to keep a close eye on them and don't push them too far past their date(if any)and you'll be fine...

mine are due to be changed out next year date wise...

I think my RV tires are passenger car tires, here is what I got;

Firestone FR710 P215/65 R17 98T M+S with a max load of 1,653 pounds at 44psi

Will this be of on my RV?

I thought i would do right by buying USA Goodyear Union Made tires not the case bought some Goodyear Marathon's and on the side wall MADE IN CHINA WTH!!!!

I think my RV tires are passenger car tires, here is what I got;

Firestone FR710 P215/65 R17 98T M+S with a max load of 1,653 pounds at 44psi

Will this be of on my RV?
Yup, those are passenger car tires for sure. I'm running LT tires on my trailer, they are WAY over rated but still not as good as a set of trailer tires.

I know that before my grandmother got rid of her holiday rambler 5th wheel (grandpa passed away, and they took it to trap shoots, so no real reason to keep it) my aunt and uncle borrowed it. I do believe it was the original tires, and in their 1500 mile round trip, I do believe 3 if not all 4 tires blew. they were goodyear marathons, deep tread, but the tread just kinda started to seperate. I am sure speed had a factor, as I am sure they were not doing 65, knowing those relatives.

we generally run wore light truck tires on our trailers, but only trailer tires have the load rating necessary to fully utilize the 7K axles on 4 of dad's trailers. the car trailers have either pickup tires or trailer tires.

I am thinking of going to an E-rated tire the next time around myself.

Jeff...

Call Ozzie before you do that...He thought he was doing the right thing by going E's on that 38' monster he pulls...the E's didn't last long and he has since went back to D's and hasn't had any problems yet with lots of miles on them...

I only bring this up because I was thinking of doing the same thing, but after talking to Ozzie I think I will stay with the D's...

E's are a harder compound and I guess they don't like all the scrubbing that trailer tires go through, not to mention the heat. I only have less than a couple thousand miles on my utility trailer tires but they are from fall 2006 so I'm starting to wonder. Especially since I load 'em pretty hard.

I was looking to go with the E rated tire also. There only a couple of tire companys that make an E trailer tire in 15" I was going to have to buy rims and tires and just not looking to spend the extra money for rims on the trailer (although it would be nice)

I'm running 14 ply LT's on my 5er after the original 10 ply tires started to develop bubbles in the side walls on a trip a few years ago. Make sure whatever tires you buy are rated for trailer tire service and that your rims are rated for the extra pressure required. From the factory my original tires were rated for 90 PSI so I run 90 in the 14 ply tires which are rated for 100 PSI.

I ended up going with the Goodyear Marathon D-rated trailer tires. I only have 1 year (2 trips) on the tires. They look good so far.

Back