• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Trailer tire dry rot

Got some dry rot on trailer tires. Got this old trailer free with a boat.

Boat is 5500lbs. I think the trailer is rated for 10-12k lbs.

Saltwater. I am replacing brakes, leaf springs, lights, bearings and assorted hardware.

Here are some pics of the 225/75/15 D rated trailer tires.
57d1d868edd5efe36d27faa7ddfb2b81.jpg
20c8dda3de5f908e355aa93a05eb651d.jpg

Some dry rot is noticeable. Have a look. Replace or run em?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it dual or single axle? Makes a difference in whether you can tolerate a blow out. Also, how heavy of a boat will this be used for?

Guys in Florida recommend changing the trailer tires every 3 years. I know with my 27' boat, the tires will blow if they're even slightly rotted or beyond 5 years from the mfg date.

Well I got everything figured out. Pulled a hub today. Buy bearing buddies. The bearings were immaculate.

Everything else was trash. There were no brake shoes. They disintegrated

d08544c5ce30407c3cc2713f09d915c1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would install Kodiak disc brakes. Get the stainless calipers and dacromet rotors. Should also go with an electric over hydraulic actuator. The model by Dexter is a good one. It gets pricey, but once you have it installed you'll wonder why you waited so long.

FYI - if you ever need a trailer tire in a pinch and you're last resort is Walmart - DO NOT tell them it's for a trailer! They will refuse to sell you a car tire for a trailer if they don't have the trailer tire in stock.

Sometimes Walmart is the only place open at 10pm on a holiday...

FYI - if you ever need a trailer tire in a pinch and you're last resort is Walmart - DO NOT tell them it's for a trailer! They will refuse to sell you a car tire for a trailer if they don't have the trailer tire in stock.

Sometimes Walmart is the only place open at 10pm on a holiday...

Unless it was an absolute emergency, I would not use a car tire on a trailer, at least not on one with a total weight greater than 4,000 lbs (easy to exceed that with a boat). They just will not last. Best to have good spares.

Unless it was an absolute emergency, I would not use a car tire on a trailer, at least not on one with a total weight greater than 4,000 lbs (easy to exceed that with a boat). They just will not last. Best to have good spares.

Correct - and in an emergency you don't someone with a bunch of tires to tell you they won't sell you any..

I had a car tire spare for an old single axle hunting camper we had, can't remember what the rating was. In 2014 I was towing it back home from hunting camp when the left side camper tire exploded on the interstate. I was still about 190 miles from home. Got to a safe location off an exit, jacked the camper up, put the car tire spare on, drove to the nearest gas station and aired it up to about 35 PSI or more, maybe 40 PSI. Tire looked low even at that pressure, but heck I limped on home that day.

I had a trip towing a boat all the way down the Baja Highway. Went through 5 tires. Once we were off trailer tires and resorting to used passenger car tires, they were blowing all the time in that heat. Just way too many stories with passenger car tires failing on boat trailers.

I knew about the discount tire warranty through a friend mentioning it, but looks like it might be my turn to pony up for little trailer tires. 205 75 14. If car or light truck tires are rated for proper weight my friends and I have used them many times.

Is there more to it I am missing?

I my turn as a tire guy on semis- mostly fuel trucks. You cannot have a repaired tire (like a patch or recap) as a steer tire, so the older steer tires always became trailer tires and was good by dot and stricter fuel regs. I don't get how a 5-10,000 lbs trailer differs from a cdl trailer. I know dot says never a trailer tire as a steer or drive tire. Big rig trailer tires are always the cheapest.

With your gooseneck, your tugging some weight with it. Im sure you'd notice if the tires didn't like it. Ht3 ?

Mine is a little 14' camper I don't think weighs 2,000 lbs loaded. I could load it on top of my hummer and carry it. To bad there are bridges and trees to go under. Haha.

I really want a m1102 and a slide in monster like Leroy's.
image.png

Then when not camping it's a dump bed work trailer. They use same rim and tired as my Hummer. Maybe one day. If only I could get my wife to not like these old campers.

Yeah, has 3 ht3's 1 Goodyear HT, 1 Yokohama HT, one kleavar 14ply, 2 gladiator 14plys, and 2 spare gladiator 14's. Started with all geneneral 10 ply 235/80's but after buying 4 similar trailer tires and they separated in 2 years I started changing them in pairs to 235/85's but not all shops had what I needed when I needed them. As they blow I will keep going with HT3's, right now all 10 tires are only 1yr to 4mo old.

Those bales weighed 2200 each, 30 mile one way hauls on 90% gravel, 2 miles black top, and through a couple pastures.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1455765692151.jpg
    FB_IMG_1455765692151.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 6
30,800lbs of horsesh** in the making? So your about half a semi load total. Yeah, you would know quick which tires hold up. Remind me not to brake check you:wideyed:

The 31 in critter grub plus the 16 you mention is 47. My guess was 10 on truck and 3 trailer so 44. Full semi is 80,000 so around half either way.

I always guess low on weight- 21 years of marriage with almost no arguements. Always guess lighter, smaller size, and more time. :shame:

The 31 in critter grub plus the 16 you mention is 47. My guess was 10 on truck and 3 trailer so 44. Full semi is 80,000 so around half either way.

I always guess low on weight- 21 years of marriage with almost no arguements. Always guess lighter, smaller size, and more time. :shame:
Like, sorry the dress I bought you is too small Honey, you look like a size 3:D

Back