• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Trailer brake shoe question...

steelydan

Reaction score
This trailer is towed with a 6.5 diesel so I hope the mods will allow.

Flatdeck tandem axle car trailer, surge hydraulic brakes. Brake shoe broke loose and cleaned all the hardware off and ruined the drum. I cannot find parts origin, as trailer is a U-built. 5 bolt wheels, shoe size is 11" x 2.75" and the only marking on the shoe is "Aimco FMS 473" I need to know the original application so I can order new parts. I believe the wheels to be dodge/ford bolt pattern but not sure 100%. Drum brakes not self adjusting and the adjustment hole is thru the front of the drum. Thanks

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 11
have you tried taking parts to Napa, or equivilant, and see if one of the older guys behind the counter knows where it came from.

The right guy behind the counter has helped me a lot in cases like yours.

might try the same method at a decent trailer/rv parts store

what part exactly you looking for the drum ???

Yeah, found the shoes to be C10 chev rear. But none of the drums that match have the 5 on 4.5 bolt center required. I also found the 68-70 dodge polara or monaco to be similar....11 x 2.75 shoes and picture looks the same.

Unfortunately no 68-70 monaco 440 front drums around. I turned the drum on a buddy's lathe and changed the hardware and the shoes. Trailer is factory built but no VIN. Possibly someone put on different shoes and drums...
Hopefully it will hold together for a few more years...:lol:

another option is to convert to disc, call guys at EGR brake to see if that can offer any advise, but for what conversion kit costs, you mite be money ahead converting to a modern axle/brake new or used from junkyard

Thought about discs. I have a complete set of bolt on spindles and disc/rotors from a 74 Matador. Years ago that's all we used when we wanted to put brakes on a trailer...:)

another option is to convert to disc, call guys at EGR brake to see if that can offer any advise, but for what conversion kit costs, you mite be money ahead converting to a modern axle/brake new or used from junkyard

I did this to a trailer this summer... Drum brakes were sucking ass so I did the conversion. Not a bad option at all.

Back