• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Trailer axle ratings

tanman_2006

Just a farm kid...
Reaction score
I have a trailer tagged at 20K and its axles and springs are exactly the same as a buddy's trailer with a 24K rating.

Point being I think my axles are derated 12's, can I get the tag changed or am I stuck with it? The trailer is 32ft with 5 ft dove tail and 3 flip up ramps, 16" dual wheels with big 1 1/8 lugs. Its a big heavy son of a gun.

I don't know what the difference is but I've seen both 10k and 12k axles.

my 6k axles are the same as 7k axles,just tires were smaller 215/85/16,,and 235/85/16 on the 7k,,but i added g614 g-rated tires now

Mine are load range E 235/80 R16s but I am upgrading to 235/85's because they are more common but am debating on the E or F ratings.

make sure the bearings are the same too. If they are run in oil hub dexters, I definitely WOULD feel comfortable overloading them anyhow.

my boss has quality axles on his 08 or 09 PJ, and they suck, run junk ass import bearings, plastic windows for the run in oil hubs cloud over, the fill plugs may as well be made of hockey pucks, because they are as flexible as one. his previous trailer, a Kaufman (an old one, IDK what they run now) had Dexters, and he loved them.

I assume you are worried about the DOT ticketing you for being over the tagged Gross for the trailer?

Back