• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tractor Trannys

Tractor Trannys

• PowerShift

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • PowerQuad

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Syncro

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Quad-Range

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Infinitely Variable (IVT)

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters

01duramax6spd

Recruit
Reaction score
Who likes what? If you have any issues with oe please post up,I want to hear what the issues are.
I'm kinda partial to PowerShifts myself.

Last edited:
Depends on tractor actually. On the early 7000s, like a 7800 a powerquad is nicer. The powershift in those seems harsher than one in say a 4250. Get in a later 8000 series and the powershift is the only option, but you don't need another option. In the earlier stuff, 50-55-60 series, powershift is a bit better than the quad, until you have to spend 15k on clutch packs... We had a 4250 and 4450 that ran together all the time and the powershift was just a bit better for having the right speeds. They were both good though. The quad never gave us a bit of trouble in that 4450.

I haven't got to use an IVT yet, what do you guys think of them. That seems like it would really be a nice option.

Power shift is the way to go.

I've only used a Quad range for only a couple years, the PS has me spoiled.

Now for a manual, the Torque Amplifier is a nice option to have available. ( until you burn it up )

I hear IVT's are real nice, it will be another ten years before I'll get to use one. ( We're just getting into the late '80's equipment now)

I haven't got to use an IVT yet, what do you guys think of them. That seems like it would really be a nice option.

Brand new 7930 with IVT here.. seems to be working great! We have the left hand reverser with it, but fore '08 they've started offering forward and reverse on the lever itself. IVT seems to hold the potential to save a lot of fuel. All we've used the 7930 for is to spray w/ 1500 gal. Top Air sprayer.

Where's the combo option?!?:D:willynilly:

I like the 3 spd PS coupled to the 6spd gear in the Olivers and later, the Whites. It is really durable, and has nice splits.

I help the neighbor, he's got a 8320 w/ PS. It shifts really smooth under load, but on the grain cart, it leaves something to be desired. Its pretty nice, but I still don't care for JD, I'm an AGCO man! (not really, just like what they bought, White & Gleaner mostly)

Apparently, Agco's CVT (what JD copied :holyshirt::D, but then again, AGCO never had it till they bought Fendt, so they are all a bunch of cheaters!:willynilly::D) is really good, the demo on it is to throw it into reverse at full highway speed, acts like a hydro, slows down smoothly, then reverses. Apparently the IVT can't do that. (not copied well enough!:D:rolleyes5:)
I like the IH hydros as well, the perfect haying tranny! But they cost alot to fix. (so dont plow with it, its a haying tranny for goodness sake!:D:ciappa:)

Last edited:
I like the Powershift in the newer Deeres. But I did like the Powershift in the CaseIh 9270 we had b/c it had a skip shift option. We've got 2 tractors with IVT, 05 6420 and 06 8430 that my cousin uses on his ditching machine, very nice for slow speeds like he needs. We used it on the Grain cart, Kinze 1050, and I don't think it's that great for that. When I run the grain cart and I leave the combine, I hit the throttle and try to get to the truck as quick as possible to get unloaded and back before the other combine gets full. The IVT senses you have a big load on the tractor and therefor shuts the fuel down a little and reduces the speed to the truck. The 8410 with the powershift works way better for that. But the IVT is great for reducing fuel consumption. The IVT on the bush hog is the berries. YOu can creep up to telephone poles and then stop and raise the wing and creep by the pole then drop it and speed up. I guess to each there own.

Where's the combo option?!?:D:willynilly:

I like the 3 spd PS coupled to the 6spd gear in the Olivers and later, the Whites. It is really durable, and has nice splits.

Geez that is ancient, you can only find Olivers with over and unders in museums nowadays, I think the Mistonian has a few...

J/k we got a 1650 on the farm I learned to drive on, That and I've always been a fan of White Power they built some nice machines, only thing I hated was every series of tractor they built for the most part had a different motor from a different manufactuer even in the same series

I like the IH hydros as well, the perfect haying tranny! But they cost alot to fix. (so dont plow with it, its a haying tranny for goodness sake!:D:ciappa:)

I really hate IH but I'll give them that, about the hydro it does have its place haying and running the TMR otherwise junk like everything else red

I'll never be able to afford anything newer than Quad Range for another 20 years anyways so it dont matter, the only chance I'll ever get to drive any thing new is driving my buddy's equipment when I pack bunker silo for them:nopity:

I'll never be able to afford anything newer than Quad Range for another 20 years anyways so it dont matter, the only chance I'll ever get to drive any thing new is driving my buddy's equipment when I pack bunker silo for them:nopity:

I know, the waukesha was all fine and good, till overhaul time, the hercules was really good, until OH time, pay out the a** for parts. Perkins not as bad, plus, nicer on fuel.

I respect the IH comment, stuff didn't seem to hold together.

Last edited:
I like the Powershift in the newer Deeres. But I did like the Powershift in the CaseIh 9270 we had b/c it had a skip shift option. We've got 2 tractors with IVT, 05 6420 and 06 8430 that my cousin uses on his ditching machine, very nice for slow speeds like he needs. We used it on the Grain cart, Kinze 1050, and I don't think it's that great for that. When I run the grain cart and I leave the combine, I hit the throttle and try to get to the truck as quick as possible to get unloaded and back before the other combine gets full. The IVT senses you have a big load on the tractor and therefor shuts the fuel down a little and reduces the speed to the truck. The 8410 with the powershift works way better for that. But the IVT is great for reducing fuel consumption. The IVT on the bush hog is the berries. YOu can creep up to telephone poles and then stop and raise the wing and creep by the pole then drop it and speed up. I guess to each there own.

I also like the skipshift option, the guy i help had it in his STX 275 w/ accusteer before his 8320. got the deere to replace it cause the accusteer was always giving fits.

I have no IVT experience, but the guy's 8320 (chipped, what gearhead wouldn't:ihih:) will not get in the way of operator demand w/ the cart, full throttle upshifting all the way to the trucks, (i gotta service five combines, dryland luckily) the tractor happily obeys (and flat rolls the coal too w/ that chip!:sifone:)

i feel like an ass asking this.......what tranny do i have? is it synchro?

it's a JD990. 3fwd + 1reverse with 3 ranges. clutch, nothing special. clutch goes in to go from forward to reverse, just like a car i can upshift on the go (if rpm's are decently low)

with a 40 series being my newest tractors and being jd in nature i am using a stick with a clutch. we have had so many years of trouble free hours with this combo i just ignorant of anything else.

i don't like the skip shift in our 9330. whenever you push the clutch in coasting up to a stop sign, it will go into 1st gear if you slow down enough. i like our power quad range in the 7820 with the left hand reverser. but the powershift in the 4640 is pretty easy to run too. all of them have their good points, all have bad points too.

Back