• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Toyota 4Runner, Feathered or Sawtooth Wear Pattern on Tires

Big T

Reaction score
110K miles on a 2014 4Runner 4wd. Tires are Cooper AT3 with 54K miles on them and probably about 10K miles left. Rotated every 10k miles. Sawtooth wear on the outside, front of lugs higher than rear. Steering wheel will pulse at times at 60 to 70 mph. I've bought new Bilstein 5100 shocks and will install, then take it in for alignment. Steering is solid and tight. Ball joints and tie rods are fine. Anything else I should be looking at?

YUP, what WW just said.
I think if the tires are wider than stock, that too can cause problems. I do not know that for sure though, just what I had read on the innernet so it must be true. LOL

I put Bilstein on my dually I am unimpressed.

I always wondered about them Bilstein shocks.
I always insall what I can get here local, I dont like ordering and waiting. I even call the parts stores ahead of time if I`m going to pick up My order. Other wise, if I`m not in a big hurry, I just have them deliver to My garage/shop. Parts usually arrives in a half an hour or less.

Took it in for installation of the Bilsteins and then alignment. They said the shocks were worn and the alignment was pretty much fine. New tires in 10K miles, but I knew that.

The stock tie rod ends and ball joints do not come with grease fittings. I guess the intention is no maintenance and then replace with aftermarket units which have grease fittings. We get a periodic clunk at the end slow stops while turning and they thought it could be a sticking ball in the tie rod end. Something to watch.

We’ll see how the Bilstein 5100s do.

I test drove the 4Runner on the Freeway today (wife can't tell much). It is much improved. Ride is better. There is still a hum from the sawtooth wear pattern and a slight pulse in the steering wheel. I'm thinking that is due to the tire wear, which will go away with new tires. Looks like we have about 10K to 15K miles left on the tires. Progress.

I test drove the 4Runner on the Freeway today (wife can't tell much). It is much improved. Ride is better. There is still a hum from the sawtooth wear pattern and a slight pulse in the steering wheel. I'm thinking that is due to the tire wear, which will go away with new tires. Looks like we have about 10K to 15K miles left on the tires. Progress.
Rotate the fronts to the back and the backs to the front. Should be a more flat tire surface.

It would probably be a little rougher ride at first but I bet you could get a little more life out of them if you did rotate them that way versus just front to back.

Front to back and start with a little burnout. I know it sounds like I am joking, but that is a real answer. Smooth wet concrete- not asphalt. Not a high speed burnout, just 25 mph on the dash for 10 seconds. Faster than that will balloon the tires and not give the across the tread wear. Then go look at the tread and see if it needs a touch more.
A floor jack at the rear bumper helps transfer weight for 1 wheel spin control.

Front to back and start with a little burnout. I know it sounds like I am joking, but that is a real answer. Smooth wet concrete- not asphalt. Not a high speed burnout, just 25 mph on the dash for 10 seconds. Faster than that will balloon the tires and not give the across the tread wear. Then go look at the tread and see if it needs a touch more.
A floor jack at the rear bumper helps transfer weight for 1 wheel spin control.

Not going to happen. I'm off to LAX now. I'll just let her run them for another 10K miles. 65K out of the Cooper AT3s and call it a day.

Follow-up: My wife ran the tires to 120+K miles, for about 65K on this set. Could have gone another 1K to 2K, but one had a nail in it that required airing up the tire every couple days. So put a new set of Cooper AT3s on it.

Back