• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Towing Question

Yes you are Right Diesel T, and the RCMP do have a blitz on maybe once or twice a year to check weights, i think i am good for 1700 Lbs in the box legally , i weighed it at one of the government scales me in it full of fuel 4 bundles of wood and my tool box in it, thats about all i take with me in the truck, so i have 1700 lbs and i bet ya it wont take much of a fifth wheel to get up there, i talk to all these sales people at the trailer places and they tell me a 34 double slide should only be a bout 14 to 1500 hitch weight ya right !!!, i think maybe 30 with one slide might do it, we will see.

James

Yes you are Right Diesel T, and the RCMP do have a blitz on maybe once or twice a year to check weights, i think i am good for 1700 Lbs in the box legally , i weighed it at one of the government scales me in it full of fuel 4 bundles of wood and my tool box in it, thats about all i take with me in the truck, so i have 1700 lbs and i bet ya it wont take much of a fifth wheel to get up there, i talk to all these sales people at the trailer places and they tell me a 34 double slide should only be a bout 14 to 1500 hitch weight ya right !!!, i think maybe 30 with one slide might do it, we will see.

James

The farther the trailer overhangs past the rear axle(s) of the trailer the less hitch weight it should have on the bed. Perhaps the longer trailers actually have less bed weight as they may extend farther past the axle?

The farther the trailer overhangs past the rear axle(s) of the trailer the less hitch weight it should have on the bed. Perhaps the longer trailers actually have less bed weight as they may extend farther past the axle?

that is correct, especially with rear loading toy haulers. although you raise the overall weight, putting more weight at the back of the trailer has a seesaw effect. ya just don't wanna go overboard on the overall weight. braking and over weight tickets then come into play. And here in BC, ICBC can void your insurance coverage if you are not correctly licensed and get in a fender bender. Ed

Ya, important to have proper hitch wt to total wt ratio to keep the tail from wagging the dog .

Back