• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Towing pontoon boat...TERRIBLE MILEAGE

I've been saying I'm getting a fumoto oil drain valve since 2004 when I bought my LLY. Just havent gotten around to it yet. Mainly, because I'm retarded and evidently enjoy oil everywhere, especially running down my arm and pooling into my skid plates.

You've outlined the jist of my latest fiasco. First couple oil changes went off without a hitch, when the truck was brand new and before I re-contoured the skid plate. Now that the skid plate has some custom curves to it (thank you GM, btw, for making my g-d truck so low to the ground) I get oil all over the place.:mad2:

On Topic for this thread though, last summer I was in the scrap metals business on the weekends and I'd pull about 8-9k behind my truck + stuff in the bed and the lowest I remember getting was around 14.# mpg.

Don't go by color. These trucks dirty up oil pretty quick. Go by mileage and use.

I don't want to do a Fumoto valve, because I hate the thought of one more thing under there to catch on and rip off, consequently costing a motor. We do a lot of driving in corn fields, etc. and knowing my dad, he'd find a way to rip it off. I have no issues doing oil changes on the D-max with a standard drain plug.

We contacted the dealer to make sure the oil was changed. It had been. I think his looks dirtier than mine because I have the egr blocked, plus I forgot how dirty the oil gets in these trucks. :rolleyes5:

We changed the air filter with a Napa gold one. I don't think the one that was in there was real bad at all but we did it anyways and saved it. We also checked the mileage on the way back and the dic isn't far off at all. We averaged around 10 mpg on the way back home going 71-73mph. My dad wasn't real impressed but it does have power.

I'm still convinced somethings wrong. It blows smoke like it has a Diablo predator set on 65 while towing if you get on it. After the second tank on the way home we stopped to fuel up. The truck was running rough (knocking)...sounded more like a truck with a tune with advanced timing on it. Power was fine. I got him some Diesel 911 in the silver bottle and within 5 minutes it was running smooth and normal again. I dunno, maybe we had a bad tank of fuel. Even after the fuel additive it still blows smoke. Never had any lights come on.

any ideas?

I know it's an LBZ, but it sounds like the same description I've read for injector issues. I haven't had any on my LB7, but it's certainly the kind of thing I've kept an eye out for. Was there any fuel in the oil?
Have you checked for codes?
Don't the EGRs get stuck and cause similar issues on these?
Or what about vanes being stuck on the turbo?
Do you have EFI so you can check codes and monitor things like vane position, desired fuel pressure, actual fuel pressure, check balance rates?
What about boost and EGT gauges?

I know it's an LBZ, but it sounds like the same description I've read for injector issues. I haven't had any on my LB7, but it's certainly the kind of thing I've kept an eye out for. Was there any fuel in the oil?
Have you checked for codes?
Don't the EGRs get stuck and cause similar issues on these?
Or what about vanes being stuck on the turbo?
Do you have EFI so you can check codes and monitor things like vane position, desired fuel pressure, actual fuel pressure, check balance rates?
What about boost and EGT gauges?

I was wondering about the egr thing. I've heard about it but don't know the symptoms. I just heard of people getting them reprogrammed or maybe a new egr.

Didn't see fuel in the oil.

I have the Predator, no efi live. I tried checking codes with it and it said "no response, cycle ignition and try again"...tried a few times and no luck. I thought that was weird though cause I've checked our gas 6.0 work truck before and that worked fine.

It also seems like the exhaust smell is stronger than it should be. It smells as if there's no cat or is straight piped.

I was wondering about the egr thing. I've heard about it but don't know the symptoms. I just heard of people getting them reprogrammed or maybe a new egr.

Didn't see fuel in the oil.

I have the Predator, no efi live. I tried checking codes with it and it said "no response, cycle ignition and try again"...tried a few times and no luck. I thought that was weird though cause I've checked our gas 6.0 work truck before and that worked fine.

It also seems like the exhaust smell is stronger than it should be. It smells as if there's no cat or is straight piped.
Maybe the exhaust smell is stronger because it's dumping too much fuel, or it doesn't have enough pressure and not getting a complete burn, thereby needing more fuel and decreasing your mileage.
Try to get a code reader you can accurately check with. Also, if you know anyone with EFI that would help a lot. You don't need to waste a license on it. You can use the scan tool without a license for the vehicle. With that you can monitor actual and desired fuel pressure, boosts levels, fueling rate, you name it. And you can choose which ever parameters you want to monitor and drive it down the road and record a log. Then you can go back and and compare all the information and it will record it all in a timeline, so you can see at any given point on your log what each parameter was.

If the exhaust smells strong, it could be a bad EGR valve. Its a common failure for LBZ's.

I don't have one, but I believe you can block a bad one and turn off the codes. I think you should be able to block it and turn off the codes, then revert it back to get your emissions inspections. I have no personal experience with this though. I believe I remember reading a post on the place where someone just turned the codes back on shortly before getting his inspection (without removing blocker) and it worked out for him because the ecm hadn't thrown a code yet.

Back