• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Towing performance

trotorx2

Reaction score
I've got some questions and not sure where to post so I thought I'd start here, move if necessary.

I have a 35' 14k toyhauler I pull regularly and I'm thinking about some mods that will help with mpg and egt's. I'm already working on a trans upgrade and EFI DSP5 and was wondering if going up a size on the turbo would be worth the expense?

I'm currently running the Predator and have no issues with power but it tends to get warm even on the tow setting. I would like to keep the VVT style turbo. I looked around the vendors at twins but think the expense and difficulty at getting to the fuel filter would be a problem.

Any suggestions?

First off definitely catch up on maintenance. I would replace all the fluids with a high quality synthetic (I used Amsoil on our truck, both diffs, trans, engine, transfer-case). That will keep the temps and wear at bay. No mileage is too soon to replace all that stuff.

Then I would maybe consider a larger intercooler and a good tune. That will help keep temps down. A DSP5 would be good as it would allow multiple tunes, including a towing tune for when you hitch up that toyhauler.

I have synthetic fluids in the boxes. I'm looking at getting RDL manifolds, up pipes and downpipe while I have the trans out then the EFI tunes. I think that will help keep my EGT's down.

Twin kits are getting very reasonable, that would be the ticket for big power AND towing.

Just getting a built Allison should bring the temps down a bit due to better clutches, torque converter lockup, etc (less slippage). Plus the other stuff the members posted! ;)

The only temp issues I have is EGT. The trans doesn't get much above 150 and my coolent temp is steady around the 200 range. I'm trying to get the EGT's lower for pulling my 14k trailer thru the mountains without having to constantly be watching the gauge. I think a good EFI tow tune will help by its self I'm just thinking that letting the motor breath better will help also.

Back