• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Towing on ice and wind!

btfarm

America First!
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
Well I'm not gonna do this again...:eek:

We had 10"+ powdery snow 2 days ago. Today I decided to haul the loader tractor up to our cabin 25 miles straight north through totally open country.

attachment.php

This is about 15k total hooked to the hitch and it's a bit tongue heavy. Roads had iced up and with a 30+ mph crosswind and drifting snow, I damn near lost it several times...even with 4wd. By the time I unloaded and backed into the barn my nerves were freakin' shot.

attachment.php

But at least I was able to get the snow cleared some that drifted quite a lot.

I left the trailer and tractor there. I wasn't gonna do that drive again!
Nice salt crust huh?...:mad2: At least SOME areas had salt.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 83
Good looking setup Mike. Glad you made it ok.

I've been known to put a set of chains on trailers to help keep it on the road. Also have a set of small diameter chains for the truck. Enough to give grip, but can still drive at a decent mph.

glad you made it home in one piece.

I'd sure be looking into some kind of anti sway for that trailer...
I suppose an EQ hitch with a built in sway doesn't work with those?

Having 15 K moving around behind you cant be much fun. Glad you made it home safely Mike.

Do you have a goose neck you can use Mike? Ive hauled loads like that in the snow, handles much better with the weight over the axle IMO anywho. Glad you made it in one peace!

Glad you're OK. Sliding around on snow and ice is one of my pet peeves, recently (as you noticed earlier).

Problem with setups like yours (usually) is the heavy tongue un-weights the front wheels a bit and you lose some of your stability there... when the front end moves, everybody moves.

How much weight was on your hitch, Mike?

mike you have some air bags on the rear axle? i do and find i use them more and more to keep things on the level. what a difference they make for comfort when driving.

Looks like you definitely need a weight distribution setup on that trailer Mike. I have the Reese Dual Cam straight line setup on my trailer. It works like a charm. No Anti-Sway bar. It does tow straight as an arrow, and you hardly notice any movement.

That setup would put more weight on the front wheels and give you better steering response. I know I am not telling you anything that you don't already know! ;)

Do you have a goose neck you can use Mike?
Wanted one but didn't have the extra grand+ when I bought it... at least I couldn't convince SOMEBODY else...

Problem with setups like yours (usually) is the heavy tongue un-weights the front wheels a bit and you lose some of your stability there... when the front end moves, everybody moves. Exactly!

How much weight was on your hitch, Mike? Way too much!

Looks like you definitely need a weight distribution setup on that trailer Mike. I have the Reese Dual Cam straight line setup on my trailer. It works like a charm. No Anti-Sway bar. It does tow straight as an arrow, and you hardly notice any movement.
I'd like to see that...

That setup would put more weight on the front wheels and give you better steering response. I know I am not telling you anything that you don't already know! ;) You got that right...

I didn't realize the roads were going to be that bad. Should have known... I've pulled in conditions like that with the trailer before but only loaded light with smaller equipment. It probably could be somewhat better if I moved my coupler down a set of holes to put more weight on the beavertail. My ramp drops are usually 2+ inches off the ground when I load so I do have room to do that. You know how it goes... always want to be a bit tongue heavy...

Back