• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

towing for dummies

Detroit Dan

Reaction score
Having a few years in the heavy commercial towing business, plus a few of my own trailers I tow, towing is a favorite topic of mine. And unsafe towing is a pet peeve of mine. Other night I was going down the highway at 2:30 am when I noticed this huge trailer in front of me was weaving all over the road, crossing the yellow and the fog lines, and only doing about 40-45.

No matter what I couldn't see the mirrors of the tow vehicle, or even what sort of rig was pulling it. Eventually the weaving got bad enough I called the town I was in and got permission to stop it (I'm a local LEO). So, I throw the blues on and about a 1/4 mile later we're finally stopped. Turns out it's a carnival concession trailer, actually a game, that was 11 or 12 feet high, maybe 18 feet long, dual axle six lug wheels. The tow vehicle was a half ton 04 Avalanche.

The lady says that she swerved a couple times because her dog was pushing her trying to be petted. I suggested it might be also due to the fact that her front axle was so light the steering input was minimal. No scales available at that time of night, and no info on the trailer weight, either on the trailer or it's registration. She called owner who said trailer is 5000#. I daresay that if it was only 5000# the receiver hitch would have been more than four inches from the ground. She tells me the truck tows real nice and the trailer brakes work great. Even though it took a 1/4 mile to stop from 40 mph. There was 12 inches of air between the front tire and the fender, yet only 4 inches from rear tire to fender.

She tells me the truck is set up for heavy towing, and it did in fact have rear Timbrens and RS 9000 shocks. Nice try, but that doesn't change the gcvwr. I have an 04 1500 Avalanche, and iirc the tow rating is 7000#. If the heavy duty shocks and Timbrens couldn't keep the load near level, then no way was it a reasonable tongue weight. No weight distributing hitch either. Too short safety chains so they couldn't cross. I told her to push the brake actuator controller, but I coldn't hear any clicking from the trailer brakes, so I don't belive they were working. Oh, did I mention that the bumper and hitch was bent down? She said she did it towing a much larger trailer on a midway, bent it right down but she didn't go out on the road like that. Yet she didn't hesitate to tow this trailer with the already fatigued hitch.

Turns out she was trying to move the trailer about a 150 miles to leave it for someone who was coming with a 3500 dually to get it, I guess she was just saving them part of the trip. So she had to know it was too much trailer. She also knew there was a flat tire on the trailer, beacuse they were bringing a spare with them. So we had her drive it to the nearest parking lot and drop it, so they could pick it up there with a bigger truck.
Wish I knew what the actual trailer weight was. Just glad we got her off the road before something bad happened. She actually was timing her trip to take place during the night to avoid traffic, because she knew she couldn't maintain highway speed. Scary thing is, she just came down rte 16 out of the White Mountains. I tow an 11k camper with my dually up there a few times a year, and there's a couple hills that give the truck a real workout.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with ya.

IMHO they should not put the big hitches on 1/2 ton frame pickups. I see so many 1/2 tons pulling HUGE camp trailers....rear bumper scraping the ground and the trailer pushing the truck all over the road.

IMO, if you buy a trailer like that, it should be illegal to pull it off the lot in anything other than a truck/suv designed for it, simple as that. I think that trailer tabs must show dry weight and loaded weight of the trailer, and minimum GCWR of the tow vehicle, and truck plates should show maximum GV and GCWR of the truck. I know some do, but ours doesn't and i would like it to, and i have no idea what you have to do to change it to the truck plates in MN.

the most my half ton ever tows is a 7K car trailer loaded to about 4-5K at the absolute max.

One tons were built for a reason!:biggrin5: luckily with our fleet, one can match the vehicle to the job easily. (there are unlisted straight trucks and semis that need to be in sig.)

I'm with ya.

IMHO they should not put the big hitches on 1/2 ton frame pickups. I see so many 1/2 tons pulling HUGE camp trailers....rear bumper scraping the ground and the trailer pushing the truck all over the road.

I see lots of people towing large horse trailers with 1500's at the horses shows I go to, IMO a 3 horse goose neck with living corder's dosnt belong on a half ton :crazy:

I saw someone pulling a fairly arge bumper pull horse trailer the other day with a half ton chevy. The rear was squattin right down and they had the bed full of crap too. I'm in NH to, so I know detroitdan probably sees this crap everyday. I hate it when you see them on the highway weaving all over the place. Kinda makes you nervous to pass them.

I saw a 94-98 1500 ECLB pulling a gooseneck camper, and it was struggling, and squatting pretty bad.

This isn't overloaded, but just as scary... this pic was while driving, so sorry its blurry, but thats as good as I could do... now do you notice that the tires are different sizes? yes that is a small back-hoe... on a single axle trailer that looks like he hauled it out of the junk yard, and what you cant see is the tie-down RATCHET STRAP flapping in the wind, not the tail end of excess, no, the actually securing strap was loose enough to flap in the wind... and I say strap not straps because it was the only one. The chain was slack enough to bounce off the deck when he hit bumps

DSCN0451.jpg

This isn't overloaded, but just as scary... this pic was while driving, so sorry its blurry, but thats as good as I could do... now do you notice that the tires are different sizes? yes that is a small back-hoe... on a single axle trailer that looks like he hauled it out of the junk yard, and what you cant see is the tie-down RATCHET STRAP flapping in the wind, not the tail end of excess, no, the actually securing strap was loose enough to flap in the wind... and I say strap not straps because it was the only one. The chain was slack enough to bounce off the deck when he hit bumps

DSCN0451.jpg
Damn!

Makes you want to call 911 and turn him in for endangering the public.

What a turd ! ! !

I don't know about Maine, but in NH only our vehicles get inspected. My trailer doesn't get inspected. He wouldn't last long running around with those open wheels around here though.

Some trailers needed to be scrapped long ago! I like that how in our personal fleet, the trailers are newer than the trucks!

I cannot forget the time when i was trailering to Idaho for harvest, and headed east on 1-80 was a shiny burnt orange, chromed out nice looking truck (couldn't tell what it was) that was pulling the cruddiest little rust bucket pickup box trailer at 70 MPH. trailer looked safe at around 40MPH

The one time in a small local town, a farmer comes draggin through town w/ a late 90s C/K ECSB 1500 Z71 pulling a big folding tandem disk that weighed aroud 6-10K lbs...w/ about 1-1.5k in tounge weight! she was squatting! (luckily it was one side of town to another)

Back